Skip to main content
Topic: NWC 1.0 (Read 8291 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC 1.0

I know this is an odd request and I'm also aware of the version history but you can treat it as some kind of fantasy:

I've been to NWC since v.1.3x and I wonder how its primitive ancestor looks like. Can I download it anywhere?

Regards

Re: NWC 1.0

Reply #1
We contemplated this on its 5 year anniversary, but elected not to do it. It might show up at some point.

Trivia about 1.0:

-the program was not called NoteWorthy Composer
-its file extension was not *.NWC
-did not use a "true type font" for notation
-did not support undo
-could be run on a 80286 with Win 3.1 in "standard" mode
-its $39 license fee is still accepted by all version 1.* versions

Reply #2
Ertugrul - I have NTW 1.0a if you would like to try.
I sure there will be no problem sending it to you since you are a registered user!
It's about 480kb zipped - let's know.

Reply #4
I'm interested with Barry's suggestion. (You can either send to my Yahoo! account or put temporarily to your site and just post the url.) But, what about what Eric has just said?

Reply #5
Yes - Eric is right. (There was no version 1.0A).

I found NoteWorthy originally on a compilation CD of MIDI programs, utilities and files "Sounds, Music & MIDI" produced by Australian company Sprint Software.
The CD was produced in Feb 1995 and I purchased it about the same time.
The CD has both version 1.0 and 1.1 sitting side by side in the Windows Multimedia section of the CD.

The version 1.0 zip file is titled NTW10A.zip (hence my error) the file date is 11 Nov 1994 (Sprint Software acquisition date I guess).
The version 1.1 zip file is titled NWC11.zip (NoteWorthy becomes NoteWorthy Composer) dated 12 Dec 1994.

I tried version 1.1 and searched locally for a later version without success.
When a friend got connected to the Web in 1996 version 1.3e was current and I first registered with this version.

Ertugrul - I don't have a web page up and running.
I will forward by Email.

Reply #6
A year later, and now I'm really interested in 1.0, so Barry or Ertugrul, if either of you see this and still have a copy, please e-mail it to me.

Reply #7
We might consider making an early version available for download to registered users, but really this only has curiosity value. The older versions discussed here are 16-bit only, and lack the years of development that have focused on correcting problems reported by users since they were released.

Reply #8

That would be nice. Seeing the great achievements by comparing the [abbr=Noteworthy composer, the best two in one: a powerful notation processor plus a useful midi sequencer]software[/abbr] with its [abbr=Notewrthy, the grandfather of NWC]earliest form[/abbr] is really useful. I experienced it.

Reply #9
Yes, I would like to see how far this company has come. I run Netscape 1.0 for the same reason. NoteWorthy, why did you take away my e-mail tag?

P. S.  Interesting new acronym tag.

Reply #11
Ok, ok, but you never have done this before. I don't know how to get a forum bio, so I don't see how Ertugrul can e-mail me without my e-mail address. In https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2354.msg13247#msg13247 you didn't delete my e-mail link. I guess I will have to e-mail Ertugrul, but what if he didn't have a bio. I see you deleted my whole https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2624.msg14696#msg14696

Reply #12
Francis, we will review your comments.

As for an old version: We have been playing with NoteWorthy 1.0 here in our labs. It looks like we may indeed be able to offer it in some fashion to registered users (after fixing up the help and wrapping it in a new installer). It has been kind of fun using it again, and it is oh so lean and efficient (although its 16-bit architecture limits it somewhat in the GUI, printing, and file system areas).

Reply #13
Ah, then you too are experiencing the fun of the old version. I wouldn't think that the speed would differ that much in such an efficient product, but I guess some speed has to be sacrificed for features. You are an execellent company, and I am sorry I was so harsh in Reply 11.

Reply #14
Francis: If you are a Canadian hockey player, then a fast search shows your picture on the Internet. Otherwise, the only "simple" search results for your name lead to the NW forum.

There's just no substitute for a home page. In fact, the reason I use "Robert A." rather than my full name is so that someone looking for me can find my home page faster (rather than being led here). I'm not the only person on the Internet with my exact name, however.

But as for version 1.0 ... I understand that in some quarters, there is a revival of the original "Pac-Man."

Reply #15
Alas, I am not a Canadian hockey player. I don't even know hockey. Google doesn't index my site!! I have fb.20m.com and we also registered beaumier.tk which redirects to there. Both a free ad supported ordeals.

Reply #16
Francis, if it will make you feel any better: Search engines actually do not index most web pages. But the host (service provider) probably keeps a master list of its clients, and eventually your page will be indexed IF it has any interesting key topics.

On a related note: From time to time, I check the search engines to see where they put my own pages. A few weeks ago, I discovered that some other site had lifted one of my pages (in its entirety, except changing my name to theirs). To make matters worse, it was a church group! Sheesh. The content was public domain, but the nerve...

To return to the thread topic, NoteWorthy 1.0. I recall that way back when, the company was "Noteworthy ArtWare, Inc," rather than Noteworthy Software. NWC, I am curious: was the original purpose of the enterprise something related to visual arts, and it evolved into music?

Reply #17
Francis - One thing that really helps get your site onto search engines is to have other sites link to you. Then when the Google (or other) spider comes by to re-crawl the previously indexed site, it finds the link to yours and then proceeds to crawl your pages also.

Robert - amazing how gutsy (and dumb!) some people are, isn't it? A similar thing happened to me some time ago, and they were flabbergasted that I found out about it.

Reply #18
Many of us (myself included) do not normally grant links. The reason is that links often lead to sites with other links, ads, pop-ups, and miscellaneous garbage. I believe that the search engines know this.

FB: Your personal domain name is in the nation of Tokelau, a small group of Polynesian islands midway between Hawaii and New Zealand, total land area 10 sq. km. Gosh!

I did notice that Yahoo! will index some sites from 20m.com. Perhaps the web host has a master index of links to all of its hosted sites? But I was chagrined to discover that I could not readily detrmine the identity of 20m.com, or where they are located, not even in which country.

My advice, if one wants visitors, is to have something distinctive and valuable. - such as NWC.

Reply #19
Well I don't have much on my site, which would justify why it's not indexed. About the domain, yeah I know its Tokelau, and I live in the same country as you do, but at dot.tk , they let you register them and explain why its free. Its pretty cool.

Reply #20
About 1.0, I don't think I've seen it. I tried (and loved, though limited (especially concerning lyrics, which didn't exist!!)) the 1.10, but I hesitated to register it. I still was in the process of trying various program to write music on a computer. At the time I discovered NWC, I deeply needed the lyrics feature (which did not exist at that time). The time to think of a solution, and the new NWC version (1.20) get out, with the lyrics feature :-) and it decided me: I signed up!! :-D
Though the sizes of the staves could not be changed easily, since the font were not yet TrueType, and it allowed only certain sizes of staves. Or am I confusing 1.10 and 1.20 features!?

I love the https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=240 post :) Almost five years ago!

Reply #21

I've received some requests for [abbr=NoteWorthy, yet to be Composer, version 1.0]NW1[/abbr] and e-mailed back with the package. If I missed anyone, please email again.