Skip to main content
Topic: Chords on music (Read 3971 times) previous topic - next topic

Chords on music

Hi.  I have the trial version of NWC, and love it.  There is one major problem that I would like to resolve before I buy it: I need to be able to enter chord notation for guitar & improv purposes.  I understand that one can enter them as individual notes and use text for the notation, but that doesn't help if I change keys, and also opens the door to misteaks.  It would also be nice if I could enter the chord notation and have the notes autofill on one staff (see again the misteaks comment); if I say "C" the computer can fill in "C-E-G".

There are other products out there that do this, but none (that I've found) that do the other things as well as NWC for a similar price.

Am I missing something?  I've about exhausted the FAQ and other earlier posts.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Chords on music

Reply #1
No, you're not missing anything. This is one of the things that NWC doesn't do. You need to balance the features you need with the money you're willing to spend in deciding on the appropriate software package.

Reply #2
I had a couple of misteaks on my grill last night.  One was medium well, the other was medium.  They were so tasty!

Reply #3

A shareware tool was released for Beta testing, doing what you describe. It was supposed to work with NWC, Word and Excel. However, both the tool (Noterow Assistant) and its author (Steve Allen) have disappeared.

I believe the NoteRow font is still available for dl on the !scripto(Scriptorion). Correct me if not.

Hth

PS: The spell check appears to be very cruel. Here is what it has detected:

dl    Hth    Noterow    NoteRow    NWC    scripto    Scriptorion    shareware

Reply #4
Well, I can see why it didn't like Scriptorion: it should be Scriptorium.

Reply #5
...and the !scripto tag is malformed. The other cases are explained in the thread where this is supposed to be discussed.

Reply #6
One thing that can save time is to enter the chords as lyrics. Then you can change them to a new key by copying the chords to a word processor and doing search-and-replaces.

It works fairly well once you've figured it out - I only bother if I think it's likely I'll have to do the part in multiple keys - but it's less trouble than redoing every chord each time. If you want to use lyrics as well you have to double the staff and layer it, and there's a rigamarole to get the chords over the notes you want, but if you're interested I'll post the whole procedure. You  might also try searching the forum - I think it's been discussed before.

It won't tell you what chords to write under which notes in your melody. But you'd rather figure that out for yourself, wouldn't you?

Reply #7

Scriptorion was intentional :) Greek instead of Latin. Or better, Greecised...

Here is the corrected tag (little sleep + too many things to worry = lack of concentration):

The Scriptorium

Reply #8
You can purchase Band in a Box (www.pgmusic.com); it allows you to enter chords <ie> C AM F G etc. You can save the NWC as a midi file and import that into Band in a Box (BB). You can download a trial version to see if you like it. Hope that helps. TIA (thanks in advance).

Reply #9
Correction on Band-in-a-Box. You can save the BB file as a midi (mid) file, that will contain all the notes from the chords, bass, drums, etc. What I did is open NWC and bring in the BB midi, opened the NWC midi file I was working on, did a Ctrl A and copied that into a new staff (BB midi) and it worked. However you can't see the chord symbols - they are translated into notes. PG Music also has a sequencer called Power Tracks Pro which allows me to enhance the vol settings, add reverb etc. (it's a mixer). Sorry about the BB confusion / comments I made earlier. TIA