Skip to main content
Topic: NWC being read as PDF files (Read 2436 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC being read as PDF files

A bit of a quandry.
I run a site for irish musicand one of my respondents emailed me that when he tried to download an .NWC file his computer told him that it could not open it as it was not a valid .PDF file!!

I (of course... what else?) cannot reproduce the problem as yet.  He is running the Noteworthy Player on Windows.

Has anyone else had or experienced this problem?

Vince in Philly
http://www.sosyourmom.com

Re: NWC being read as PDF files

Reply #1
Apparently your friend's computer lost the association to NWC files, and is incorrectly associating them with Acrobat Reader.

Uninstalling/ reinstalling NoteWorthy Player should fix it.

Reply #2
Is your web site sending the correct MIME type for NWC?

Actually, I just checked, and here is what it is sending:

Content-Type: application/nwc

Technically, it should be sending application/x-nwc, but this should not necessarily cause the problem that you describe.

What might be happening is that this other person has installed Acrobat Reader, and it is improperly trying to open the NWC file in the Reader's plug-in. There are lots of past threads in discussion groups (not this one, but other support forums) where the Acrobat Reader browser plug-in has caused problems, especially back in the IE 5 and IE 5.5 timeframe. Perhaps your respondent is just another case of this.

Reply #3
Thanks to all who replied,  but this was apparently (as a firefighter I know reported after extinguishing a blaze in an apartment-house dryer) "A 'Falsie'-Alarm".

Our Hero was trying to open the file without first downloading it from the server.  At least I think that's what he was trying to tell me,  but anyroads, he figured it out.

Well,  back to the transcriptions, although "that broke the monotony, then!"

Vince in Philly