Skip to main content
Topic: Wandering Boxmarks. (Read 3535 times) previous topic - next topic

Wandering Boxmarks.

I've just found out how to use Boxmarks with a little help from Barry Graham, but I don't want bother him again now.
My problem is that, after spending hours getting the three slashes lined up on all the crochets to produce demisemiquaver(32nd note) tremolos on my score, when I come to print it out, they tend to shift away from the notes in question. Is there (a)a reason for this and (b)a not too difficult cure, please?

Re: Wandering Boxmarks.

Reply #1
Just enter o, p, q, <, or > (which ever you need) in the Text Expression dialog and chose on the Expression Placement tab Alignment/Placement "at next note/bar."  Justification should be "center" for down-stem notes, "left" for up-stem.

Reply #2
Moreover for finer control, you can add one or more spaces after or before the 'o', 'p'... character (in the same text expression), to make it go on the left or the right.
If "center" justified, adding a space after the character makes it go slightly left; adding a space before makes the character go shift right.
If "left" justified, only spaces BEFORE the character do something (right shift)
If "right" justified, only spaces AFTER the character do something (right left)

Hope this helps!

Boxmark2 is about to be delivered. Just documenting it (from almost scratch due to disk crash)

Reply #3
The cure is as described above. The reason is that the precise relative placement of "notation" and "text" (including notation symbols placed as text) is often not the same in the editor as it is in the printout. This is not a program bug; it is simply that the NWC editor is optimized for easy visualization of entered notes.

Reply #4
Many thanks, Sandy, Marsu and Robert for all your help. I was trying to place the tremolo marks, 3 at a time (there being 3 crochets in each bar) using spaces to get them onto the right note stems. I hadn't come across this justification dodge. Now I look forward to Boxmarks 2.
Cheers,
John.

Reply #5
Well, since 1.70, one can insert text items between beamed notes, so I prefer to use one text item per note.
This is much quicker to achieve: once you've found the correct string and placement for the text item, you just copy&paste it wherever you need it.
Personally, I prefer to do this all at once rather than inserting them progressively.

HTH!

Reply #6
Thanks for the tip, Marsu.
Cheers,
John.