Skip to main content
Topic: Instrument trees other than MIDI (Read 2963 times) previous topic - next topic

Instrument trees other than MIDI

OK I'm new I admit it! I know that for 40 bucks I can't expect Finale or Sibellius and I don't But let's admit it most MIDI voices suck! I mean is that really supposed to be a violin?I am wondering if NWC2 or 1.75 for that matter allows the importation of sample .wav files or similar to achieve actual voices for instruments?
If not does anyone know of a good package (for cheap hopefully) that will take a MIDI type 1 and allow you to re-voice it with good sounding patches?
Thanks
Indytrog

Re: Instrument trees other than MIDI

Reply #2
G'day indytrog,

OK I'm new I admit it! I know that for 40 bucks I can't expect Finale or Sibellius and I don't But let's admit it most MIDI voices suck! I mean is that really supposed to be a violin?I am wondering if NWC2 or 1.75 for that matter allows the importation of sample .wav files or similar to achieve actual voices for instruments?

The problem you have is not with NWC, or Sibelius or Finale or any other notation package for that matter.  The real problem is your MIDI synth.

If your synth has poor samples in its wave table then you need to change the wave table, OR change the synth.

There are PLENTY of threads on this forum relating to just this problem and a quick search will find 'em.  However, in order to save you some time, I'll list a few effective options.  Note that this list is not definitive:
  • Soundfonts - if your sound card supports soundfonts like the Creative Sound Blaster range then there are literally thousands of sounds out there for you to choose from - <insert favourite search engine here> is your friend!  "Hammersound" would be one of the best - http://www.hammersound.net/
  • Synthfont is a software synth that uses soundfonts - see point above
  • The Microsoft synth included with Windows XP (and some other versions IIRC - may have been with DirectX) uses a Roland wave table that isn't too awful
  • There used to be a Yamaha softsynth available, the S-YXG50.  If you are able to locate this softsynth you won't be disappointed.  It is quite good.

Then you get to start looking at VST stuff - a whole new subject I haven't really researched yet, and may not for some time, I like my Yamaha.

After that you probably have to start looking at professional level software and hardware - hope you've got a fat wallet.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.