Skip to main content
Topic: Timing errors? (Read 3925 times) previous topic - next topic

Timing errors?

Has anyone out there had the same problem as this:

. I import a MIDI file with 8th note and 8th rest settings.

. In the score, a note that should be an eighth, is displayed as a 64th (or something) with a dotted 8th rest after it and a 32nd or something rest.

This occurence is rather frustrating.
Part of the problem is that I've told it to only go to 8ths but it does 32nds and stuff.

Wierd.

Any suggestions?

Re: Timing errors?

Reply #1
It's how NWC import works but set the rest resolution to quarter.
You wont get eighth resolution unless the source file has been written in eighth resolution exactly.
The best you can do is reduce the resolution to sixteenth or even thirty-second resolution until the notation is relatively clean.
Software that produces midi files from recorded input will give the worst results.
Notation programs like NWC will record data that is more strict in time and will import more cleanly.
The only advice I can give is experiment to get the best result.
I prefer to import at eighth resolution for notes and quarter resolution for rests this allows the notes to fill the gaps.
If this does not produce clean notation I use sixteenth for notes and retain quarter for rests this seems to produce the best - but not perfect result.

Re: Timing errors?

Reply #2
When NWC imports a piece, it evaluates the performance using the note resolution that you specify in the import wizard. However, if you tell it to use 8th note resolution, but a note run in the piece actually uses shorter durations, NWC will force some notes to smaller durations in order to fit the run into the proper time. NWC will not combine two notes into a chord that actually play separately in the performance. If the note resolution has to be reduced to avoid this, it will temporarily do so for runs that contain too many individual note events to fit using the default resolution. This may sometimes cause a very short note to appear in the imported results. The best solution is to try reducing the resolution, for example from 8th to 16th, and see if that helps.