Skip to main content
Topic: Making a chart look like a chart (Read 7229 times) previous topic - next topic

Making a chart look like a chart

I wrote a ska chart with piano, bass, guitar, sax, trumpet, and trombone and now I want to print the pages out so the chart is like a book.

What I mean is, print it out to the printer so the first page is piano on its own, the next page is bass, the next page is guitar, the next page is sax, the next page is trumpet, and the next page is trombone.

You know, print it out just like a chart I'd buy at a shop.
I also would like to just be able to save this as a PDF so I can dump it on a web site.

Then all the music is there... no fiddling by selecting one part, printing, selecting the next part, printing, et cetera et cetera. I reckon to do this would be a massive bonus.

Keep it up dudes! This is one kickass piece of engineering.

Re: Making a chart look like a chart

Reply #1
>...

I don't know a shortcut for now. You should exclude the parts which you don't like to print at the moment (from page setup | contents) and print.

>...

See user tips section. Fred has a solution.

Reply #2
I've already done something like this: I scored each part as a separate score, then copied the pages of the score (using the "copy" facility in "Print preview" to pages of a "Wordpad" document.

Reply #3
If you wanbt to do a lot of general-purpose manipulation of the image (print) file from Noteworthy, then I suggest that you get software that will help you.

If you happen to have Adobe Illustrator, then try this: In Noteworthy, use "Print Preview" to look at your finished composition. Use the "Copy" command and create a placeable Metafile. Illustrator (at least, Illustrator 8) can open the Metafile as if it were a drawing (which it is). You may need to scale the opened Metafile by maybe 33% to fit on a page. You may also need to ungroup objects and release compound paths (if you have the software, then you know what I am talking about). Save it as an Illustrator file, play with it whichever way you like, and export it as a bitmap image or PDF.

I have been doing this lately, in order to re-position my Noteworthy composition so that it appears on the page the way I want it to look.

There are other ways of doing this, I suppose. Adobe Illustrator is NOT a cheap program! But if you are an "academic" user, then there is a reduced-price educational version available at college bookstores and similar places.

If there are others of you who know of better (i.e., cheaper) ways of doing this, maybe the rest would like to know.

Reply #4
I think you misunderstand. I want to just click a print option for every staff to print on its own page.

Reply #5
Did you think my idea was good or bad? would this be a standard feature with other good programs?

Reply #6
I personally don't have a problem with printing parts using the program as it stands, but your idea is neither "good" nor "bad." If it's something that you would like to see, I'd suggest posting it on the wish list that NoteWorthy Software maintains for the purpose of getting suggestions from users. A great many wishes on this list have been granted, yours might be also, one day... but only if you post it!

Reply #7
'Posting it in the wish list... but only if you post it!'

I've never understood this bureaucratic requirement. Doesn't NoteWorthy monitor this forum regularly? Why do we need to repeat in the wish list (which has a tiny box unsuitable for all but the most trivial wishes) what it's being said here?

NoteWorthy Software is not an enormous company and hardly it can be thought that one part of the company doesn't know what the other do, so I really can't understand why the posting in a separate wish list may make a difference for a good idea to be considered.

Reply #8
For those that prefer NOT to have a place to post wishes and make suggestions, you are free to not avail yourself of this system.

Reply #9
I don't know, it seems to me that if you really want a feature, taking a moment to cut and paste out of your original message into the wish list (and oh, by the way, the wish text box scrolls - you can write pretty much as much as you want) shouldn't be that big of a hardship. A number of ideas presented in the forum have also been retracted as a result of ongoing discussion. And others have been expanded as a result of ongoing discussing. By putting it in the wish list, you intentionally let the author know that you would like a particular featuer, as well as the specific details of the feature. I would rather that the author spent his time programming these fine updates to NWC based on wishes submitted, than spending his time weeding out specific wishes from the forum.

Thanks,

John

Reply #10
The problem with the wish list is that from our point of view it is a black hole. It would be nice to see what other wishes are there, and maybe even vote on them.

Reply #11
I think one rationale for not being able to read other wishes on the wish list is that it gives Noteworthy Support a rough idea of how much in demand a given wish is.

If everyone looked at the wish list who wanted hairpins, or n-tuplets, or what have you, and saw that it had already been wished for, they wouldn't post their own wish. Then such requests would not show any more urgency than requests for some obscure feature that only one person thought of.

So, don't worry that your wish has already been wished for. Ad your voice to the throng. History has been made by the movements of great masses of people.

- seb

Reply #12
Steve,

While you're right about the voices of many, I would tend to go with Blair's thought about a tally of affirmative votes for a particular wish or enhancement.

Part of the problem with the many voices theory is that there may be some who feel strong about a particular wish but are reluctant to post as they may feel it falls on deaf ears or that it is a dumb request. Those of us who have been using the program for some time know this isn't the case, but a newbie who may have a real good suggestion could be intimidated or maybe not know that they can post wishes and suggestions.

I know personally that for about the first year that I used NWC, I really wasn't aware of the Forum and it's ability to stimulate thought about enhancements or that several of the things that I might want to see changed were already discussed.

Reply #13
I've also asked for a published wishlist because sometimes I forget whether I've posted a request already and don't really want to be in the position of making the same request over and over. If wishlist items were published in more or less the requesters' original words, I could at least get an idea of whether I recognized my own phraseology and, if not, persuade myself that I'm seconding someone else's request and not my own.

On the other hand, if the kind folks at NWS don't mind seeing me make the same requests again and again, then I'll just go ahead and do that.

Reply #14
NW Online,

You answer the wrong issue. The point here is wether NW _requires_ to repeat in the wish list a wish already stated in the forum (as suggested by Fred) for it to be considered.

It's your forum, it's your site, it's your software, so you make the rules. But please clarify.

Reply #15
I don't know how the topic got from printing staffs to voting on a wish list, but here's my input: Among my other shareware programs there IS one that has a votable wish list. I don't know the methodology. Apparently, the software company uses a free-response input form, same as NWC. Sooner or later, reasonable ideas for changes are posted so that users can vote. But those of us who are not professional programmers have no idea of the effort or cost factor involved in various kinds of changes.

Reply #16
What does NWConline think on voting ? Please answer.
An other method is that each time someone thinks a new wish he opens a thread on it, we will discuss and improve it, then each interested one copy it to the wish list...

Reply #17
Blair,

I had "wished" an open wishlist months ago and I've always preferred it to the current one which is more like a wish fountain.

Steve,

I don't agree with you. If you have a browse on the forum, you can see that one's declaration on a topic encourages others that have parallel or contrast ideas -as this wishlist discussion made me act to note my own view.

So, I think an open wishlist designed similar to the forum o reinforced with something like a poll or an "I agree" radio button would be best.