Skip to main content
Topic: Can I create a separate MIDI track for each staff in Composer? (Read 2784 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I create a separate MIDI track for each staff in Composer?

I've been sharing my music files I've created in Composer with musicians who have been helping me refine and improve my work. However, a musician friend of mine, who uses notation software he created for Linux, asked me to create two separate tracks for my MIDI files, one for the bass line and one for the treble. It would make the resulting sheet music easier for him to read and modify.

When I import a MIDI file into Composer, it typically puts both the bass and melody lines on one MIDI track, but splits that track into two staves. How do I get around this, or do I?

Re: Can I create a separate MIDI track for each staff in Composer?

Reply #1
When you are importing a MIDI track, you are not creating a MIDI file, but rather converting it into NWC notation.

When you save into a MIDI file for your friend, simply specify "Type 1 Midi File" in the Save as type drop down box. This will save each of your staves into a separate MIDI track, which is exactly what your friend is asking you to do. If your NWC score contains only two staves, one for bass line and one for treble, then that is what will be contained in the MIDI file.