Skip to main content
Topic: copying between clefs (Read 3614 times) previous topic - next topic

copying between clefs

I've mentioned in another entry that I've had problems with notes being imported as a sharp harmonic instead of a flat, and that when transposing, the same problem occurs. Another problem I've had is when I copy and paste between clefs (i.e. from treble to bass), the notes remain on their respective lines and must be transposed. I've used other software that automatically did the transposition when changing clefs and wondered if this function is available with NWC? It could be there and because I'm a fairly new user, haven't found it yet.

Re: copying between clefs

Reply #1
Your are right - you do have to do it manually.
Eric explained the method in an earlier thread.
Basically - you select the pasted staff with Home then Shift/End to select the whole staff.
Use Ctrl/Shift with the Up or Down cursor to move the notes to the correct pitch in the new clef.
Change the clef if it's not correct.
If notes and ties are the wrong way round - Tools/Audit Note Stems and Ctrl/F9 staff audit might be required.

Reply #2
By the way, cut/Paste acting like that are perfect for me. First because using the technique Barry describes above is rather easy, and 2nd because when you're writng fugues or music îeces like that you may not want the transposition to be ssystematic -- in fact it's better for me that the music line stays as is. Even in JSBach fugues, (with more than 2 voices) the melody is partly changed, due to harmonic rules.
Mad

Reply #3
Thanks for the replies, I feel like such a NWC rookie!! I actually took the time to go back through some of the earlier forum threads and found out how to solve this problem. If any new users read this thread, take the time to review earlier questions in the forum to answer your questions.