Skip to main content
Topic: Preserving velocities from midi files or recorded input (Read 3704 times) previous topic - next topic

Preserving velocities from midi files or recorded input

Hi, I've had NWC 1.75 for about a year now, and just downloaded NWC 2, so I"m still learning what the new features are.

One big thing I'd like to know:

Is it possible to somehow preserve the note velocities when recording a part into NWC, or when importing a MIDI file?  What I'm trying to do now is push play on a drum machine and get the music into NWC.  It's working, but it's all in now as one velocity, which dramatically changes the feel of the drum track.

Which leads to my next question:  Is it, or could it be possible, to edit note velocities on a note-by-note basis?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie T.

Re: Preserving velocities from midi files or recorded input

Reply #1
If you are talking about Dynamic Velocities, yes.  Go to Staff Properties/Instrument.  After selecting a Predefined Instrument you can set the Default Dynamic Velocities to what ever you like.  This will carry through the entire piece.  You can set individual dynamics by blocking it and resetting the velocity in the Advanced Settings under the Dynamic tab.  You can also change the entire staff volume.  Remember to check the Override box.

Reply #2
So I'd have to enter a dynamic (e.g. mp, mf, ff) before each note to adjust vol/velocity?

What about a Midi part that contained velocity information prior to import?

Reply #3
I can't help you at all regarding midi details, but generally, you would have to enter each dynamic.

You probably can get around that with the volume multipoint controller.  Copy this into a new song file and play it back.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Dynamic|Style:p|Pos:-8
|Instrument|Name:"Hammond Organ"|Patch:16|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:15
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:20|Pt1:0,127|Pt2:1,64|Pt3:1,97|Pt4:1,64|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:#-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:#-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:20|Pt1:0,127|Pt2:1,64|Pt3:1,97|Pt4:1,64|Pos:8
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:#-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:#-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Absolute|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:20|Pt1:0,127|Pt2:1,64|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:#1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:#-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:#-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:#-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|MPC|Controller:vol|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Thirtysecond|SweepRes:18|Pt1:1,106|Pt2:1,48|Pt3:2,62|Pt4:3,96|Pos:8
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Multipoint controllers are found at the bottom of the Insert menu.

Reply #4
NWC2 assigns MIDI velocity based on your dynamics in a staff. Individual notes in NWC2 do no have their own sense of velocity. The velocity of a note can be quite dramatically different when it is in a repeated section, depending on the dynamic that applies at the time.

When importing, NWC2 does not do anything with velocity information in the MIDI file. This has to be manually added to get the sound that you want.