Skip to main content
Topic: Midi wont play all tracks (Read 3929 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi wont play all tracks

Ran into an odd problem playing some multi-track midi files. NW Player, NW Composer (registered) and other midi players (i.e. MS Media Player in Win 3.11, Creative Midi player, and several freeware players) all play just the first 8 tracks.

This occurs both on the SB16, and also on an external Casio CTK611 synth.

What really strange is that if I import it into Cubasis Audio V1.0, all tracks play properly, both on SB16 and on the Casio.

If anyone is interested in pursuing this, a good sample file to play with is at:

http://midiworld.com/cmc/midi/a1/mfovert.mid

(This is the overture to Mozart's "The Magic Flute", and consists of 14 tracks. The missing tracks will be immediately obvious if you're at all familiar with this piece.)

Re: Midi wont play all tracks

Reply #1
Tried to look at your MIDI file to diagnose the problem, but I get this:

"You don't have permission to access /cmc/midi/a1/mfovert.mid on this server."

Reply #2
Hm... weird. I didn't have any trouble getting on, try going to the main page at "http://midiworld.com/cmc/index.htm". Then scroll down a few pages to the "M's" on the links at the left, then click MOZART and you should be able to pull up the file from there.

Reply #3
OK. I reviewed the file. There are two possible causes for your problem:

1. The string ensembles are on MIDI channels 11 through 15. It is possible that your MIDI Mapper configuration does not map these channels to a playback device (thus they will not sound). You can either fix up your mapping settings, or directly select a MIDI device as your playback device in NWC (although this will not help the Media Player or NoteWorthy Player programs).

2. Less likely: The String Ensemble patches probably require more synth voices in your sound card, thus causing drop-outs in instruments in playback. This would happen on all channels though.

I suspect that #1 is the true problem with your system (it usually is the problem in these cases).

Reply #4
You were absolutely right - the mapping was only set for the first 10 channels (by Windows default). Boy do I feel dumb... Doh!

Reply #5
BTW, (Re the Magic Flute) Mozart was a freemason and was involved in some occultic activity.

That's why he composed in the pentagrammic scale!

(joke)