Skip to main content
Topic: How to configure the midi (Read 5054 times) previous topic - next topic

How to configure the midi

Hello! Im sure it should be only a configuration problem.
The problem is that NoteWorthy does not render correctly
what I play on the keyboard. At earing it the same, I ear exactly what i play (I think). The problem is that it transpose a single into two double or few triplet. I Gived to a music teacher of an university and he told me that the time and mesure was correct, respecting 4/4 but the way it was writen was tremendouly complicated. Enought complicated that no human can play it. I changed 3 time my Pc, My sound card and still have the same problem. I tryed other sequencer and they rendered corectly what i did. But for editing or corecting Noteworthy is more easy, friendly.

So what could cause noteworthy to decompose the song into triplet, quadruplet, when they are only single ?

Any help will be apreciated

Re: How to configure the midi

Reply #1
I suspect you might be using too fine a resolution for "note resolution." If your piece has nothing shorter than 1/8 notes, set note resolution to 1/8. Otherwise you will have to be _very_ precise in your playing to make the notes come out as you intended.

See also the built-in Help system regarding note and rest resolution.

Reply #2
Use Tools, Options, Import tab to globally change the import options used for MIDI recording in NWC. Use Staff, Import Recording to manually change them for your most recent recording session.

Reply #3
Hello!
I tryed both option and it is worst, if i change the note resolution to 1/8 it still replace single by few double or triplet. but now it change what ive played. I gues it is the
synthetizer that he dont like i have an Yamaha Psr-630 conected to a AW64 sound card into a pentium P55-200 mmx computer. Thanks anyway will continue to use Midisoft studio
as input for my piano and then enter manualy each note in noteworthy.

Reply #4
If you play a series of notes in rapid succession while recording, each note starting after the previous note has completed, then NWC import will convert these into a series of short note runs. In these cases, using a smaller note resolution (like 32nd notes) can actually produce better results. Beyond this, it is difficult to guess what is causing your problem. If you have a source MIDI performance and a resulting NWC import that demonstrates your problem, we would be glad to review it to try and understand what is happening.

That said, if you do have access to a sequencer, you are probably better off playing your performance into it until you are happy with it, then importing it into NWC. Sometimes, pure step time entry into NWC is even faster, depending on your objectives.

Reply #5
Vous pouvez peut-être poser la question en français aussi ;-)

I'm perplex about "Thanks anyway will continue to use Midisoft studio as input for my piano and then enter manually each note in noteworthy." :
you can use MidiSoftStudio to create your midi file, but I wonder why you need to re-enter it into NWC. You could import it with the .mid you create with MSS.

If ever the piece you're working on has many tempo changes, if MSS doesn't note them then the import will be ugly --in any notator software. If the tempo-changes are present in the .mid, then it should be okay in the .nwc file.

About how to modifiy "hard-to-read" notations, maybe you could go to Andrew's http://www.pcug.org.au/~apurdam/noteworthy.html NWC page, or other old messages in the forum (download the offline version, see at the top of this page)
Or even better, tell us where to find one of your .mid file, so that anyone can clearly figure out what your problem is.

Hope this helps

Reply #6
Sorry abouth my english, :( The reason why I like NoteWorthy is for the ability to easy change a note (when i make mistake and play 2 note in the same time) and the ability to put loops in the song. So i made a test file
where i recorded a small part in sistyfourth note and quarter rest, i changed the inport setting to sisteen note and quarter rest, and record a second staff, then changed to eight note and recorded to an other track. then i put everything back to sistyfourth note and quarter rest and inport the same part that i played on other sequencer and puted into the last track.

The test file can be found at http://www.total.net/~koalas/test.zip

Hope that will help.

And again i use noteworthy for its ability in reediting song when you want to correct note or mesure.

Reply #7
I looked at the score and en effet it looks really hard to read. the cause is clearly an imprecision of the input --normal, but quite hard to manage (especially when improvising or "en déchiffrage" (first reading?) )

I then created a test.mid file with the first staff only (having added "legato" style to preserve correct length of longest notes) that I imported back in NWC.
The best results I obtained were with 16th/16th and 16th/8th settings.

But I think that things could be drastically improved if the direct input in NWC had the following feature : that either a pedal or a special note (let's say A0) be used to give exact place of beats (thus giving you the time to look for the next chord). Comments anyone ?

To get back to your problem, Alain, I think that if you find the settings I gave acceptable to work with the score, some advices can be helpful.
Repetitives tasks may be automated thanks to the macro recorder of Win3.* (still works on Win32*) ;
In case you didn't use the feature often, the lenght of a note can be changed without re-entering the note (or chord) simply by selecting it and typing the number (or clicking the icon if you're a mouse addict). '+' and '-' can also be used (but all the selected notes will take the same duration)

hope this helps,

MAD