Skip to main content
Topic: Piano Part. How low is too low??? (Read 3898 times) previous topic - next topic

Piano Part. How low is too low???

I have transposed a piano accompaniment for a Bb trumpet solo (Air on a G string) down 5 steps so that the piano accompaniment is in the right pitch for an Eb altohorn. However there appears to be 2 problems.

1. The key change from Bb accompaniment(4 flats) should be to 5 flats for the Eb accompaniment. It is in fact 7 sharps!! Enharmonically it is the same. This may prove to be a difficult key for a pianist to play in.

2. The notes in the treble stave drop way down with ledger lines for Africa. Should this be transferred to the bass stave? Any help would be appreciated.

Lastly would it be legitimate to transpose the piano part UP 7 steps to accompany an Eb instrument or for this instance would it put the solo and accompaniment too close together as far as pitch is concerned??

Any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers ... Sergio.

P.S. Eb altohorn player ... not a pianist or much of a music theorist come to think of it, but learning as I go.

Re: Piano Part. How low is too low???

Reply #1
Maybe it would be easier to transpose the Eb Altohorn? In most situations this would be the easiest thing to do. As for the tranposing into the wrong enharmonic spelling, I can't help you. I tried transposing a flute part and ended up with the seven sharps. After a lot of playing around I finally got the part in the right key, but the million dollar question, was it really worth it?:-)
Adam

Reply #2
Sergio:

Please post your question only once, as duplication only complicates things (see https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=630.msg2976#msg2976).

If you are unhappy with the choice of key, simply change it. This is described in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2. If you decide to change the clef, the procedure is described in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3.

Reply #3
Sergio,

I wouldn't worry about the piano being to high - this is always a problem with low-voiced instrumental solos.
Transpose the piano up an octave where it's comfortable - the listener will be able to distinguish between instruments and provided there are no harmonic clashes like semitones close together it should sound OK.
As for the seven sharps - force accidentals - change the key signature to 5 flats - then transpose the staff zero '0' semitones.

Reply #4
NWC-Support - sorry for the duplication. I have tried the key change procedure and I think it has worked. I have looked at that procedure before without really understanding it. Amazing what a little bit more knowledge can do to help. Thanks NWC

Adam - Yes I have thought of changing the Eb part maybe a little tweaking of both parts up or down will simplify the key signature. One snag is that I kind of like the key the solo part is in. However thanks for your suggestions.

Getting there slowly (where ever that is)

Sergio

Reply #5
Thanks Barry for the piano advice. I thought that might be the case with transposing up. I will find a friendly piano player and have a few runs with some ideas.

I have learnt about changing the enharmonic spelling But thanks for the prompt reply.

Cheers ... Sergio