Skip to main content
Topic: Adding expression to a note doesnt make differenc (Read 3935 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding expression to a note doesnt make differenc

When I add an expression (fff, piano) or crescendo before a note, I don't hear any difference in the volume when I play back. Why?

Re: Adding expression to a note doesnt make differenc

Reply #1
When you start a new document in NWC, the dynamic expression is already at the maximum volume(fff). In order to make it get louder, you must insert a softer volume text expression such as mp. Crescendos don't work at all, they are just there for the final printout.

Reply #2
Crescendos do work but only if there are several attacks between the start note dynamic and the end note dynamic.
And both dynamics are required.
They just wont work on a single note unless you are operating a wave table card or software synth.

Reply #4
I'd just like to re-iterate an important point that has messed me up in the past. Not all synths treat velocity the same. For instance, "bottom end" FM synths like SB16, SB Pro, etc. seem to exhibit a linear voltage relationship with velocity, whereas the better synthesizers use a logarithmic approach (more suited to the characteristics of the human ear).

The result is that I've got a bunch of files I taylored for the SB16, only to find that the dynamics are too extreme on my new Audiotrix (Yamaha XG compatible) card.

Contemplating doing two sets of midi files... *sigh* ... one for the generic SB-compatibles, and one for the more upscale units.