Skip to main content
Topic: upgrade #9 crash (Read 4242 times) previous topic - next topic

upgrade #9 crash

I recently downloaded #9 and now when I try to print preview I get an error message and the computer hangs up and I have to quit the program.

I reloaded #7 and do not have the above program. I´m running a 486 Windows 3.1.

Any suggestions?

Re: upgrade #9 crash

Reply #1
correction:
...do not have the above problem...

Reply #2
You could start by telling us what the message said.

Reply #3
Dunno, Don. I've been using update #9 fairly extensively this week and have had no trouble at all. What does the error message say (ie which part of Windows if having the problem? :-)

Many (not all) "errors" in NWC seems to end up being fixed by installing up-to-date drivers for sound or video cards. Can you start there?

A

Reply #4
Just for those waiting with bated breath...
This issue is being followed on the newsgroup, complete with examples. Point your news-reader at
http://news://news2.ezusa.net/ntworthy.nwc
Noteworthy has acknowledged the bug and apparently will release a fix next upgrade.

A

Reply #5
Well, it sounds like NoteWorthy has this well in hand, but here's the message anyway, just in case:
NWC an error has occurred...select <ignore>...
Application Error
NWC caused a General Protection Fault in module NWC.EXE at 002D:1041.
Thanks.

Reply #6
Yes, based on the address of this crash, it appears as though the problem as described in the newsgroup is the same as this one.

> Can't replicate the Abnormal Program Termination, but Preview does emit
> the exception (Win98).

> I'm upgrading this to a bug-report.
>
> Replication:
>
> 1) Create one staff. Populate the staff with enough notes that, in Print
> Preview, a line-wrap occurs.
> 2) Add a new staff.
> 3) Insert one or two objects (notes, text, tempi...) on the staff. In
> signed time they seem to need to be worth less than 1/2 a measure, in
> free time one or two notes should do it.
>
> Print Preview throws exception. Adding 3 notes also throws exception but
> generates *ahem* interesting Print Preview output. Smells like a
> definite bug in the pagination engine.
>

This is confirmed as a bug. The exception does not occur in the original 1.70 release, but the print engine has never liked parts of varying lengths to be printed at the same time. We will work to get it fixed in the next release.

In the mean time, it is best to make sure that your parts all match up in length before printing.

Reply #7
I've never had NWC crash, probably because I do not exercise every feature it has (or, do not do the "user variations" that activate the occasional bug!) But my famous-name image processing program crashes for me all the time, as does my famous-name font program.

Some humor: In the 1970s, I was using a then-novel samll computer with 16K (yes, K) of memory, and a tape (yes, tape) drive. I entered a perfectly legal command, in proper syntax, that caused the computer to rewind the tape, rather than doing the expected calculation. It turned out that my command was a hidden administrative command. The manufacturer thought that nobody would ever ask the computer to do that particular calculation.

More humor: In the 1980s, I was working in industry. My job was to write instructions for some of the workers to follow. To "debug" my work, I gave a copy to a student who was working there on summer break. He had never seen the equipment before, and knew nothing of the process. But he was able to perform the task by following my written instructions explicitly. Later, when the instructions were given to the actual workers, they couldn't do the process. The reason was that they were only choosing to follow some of the instructions, ignoring others that went against their own expectations.