Skip to main content
Topic: Solo staffs leading into choral staffs (Read 3953 times) previous topic - next topic

Solo staffs leading into choral staffs

I have a piece of music where one voice begins, then another soloist joins in, and then a four part choir kicks in, then it reduces to the duet, then the solo, then back to the full four part choir.

How do I avoid having to maintain six staffs?

Is there a way of having one line a music layout that has say 20 bars of one line at the beginning, and only developing second, third and fourth staffs as they are needed?

Or should I go and spend hundreds on a music publishing program? (Not the right answer, but I am prepared to accept your version of reality :) )

Re: Solo staffs leading into choral staffs

Reply #1
Hello again, Alan. I've had the same problem on a number of occasions, and put it on my wish list - it can't be done directly at the moment. You will need to write the sections as seperate files, then export them into a suitable publishing program, (copy from page preview) and lay out to suit. Publishing has been discussed in some depth - https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=591 is worth a look. I daresay NWC support can list several useful pages going a long way back.

Query to NWC Support - is it my browser (Netscape 4.04) or because of the change in the Reply form - I can't abort the reply form back to the forum without reloading from my bookmark - my 'Back' button is greyed out.

Reply #2
I think it's Netscape. Suggest downloading 4.06 from Netscape.

But be warned: even that one still has some... shall we say "oddities." I got tired of it and went back to 3.04... everything works as it should again.

Regards,
Fred

Reply #3
The "Add Your Own Reply" button open a new browser window. This is so you can Alt-Tab back to the original post, if necessary, while authoring a new reply. Whether you complete the reply or not, you simply close this window when you are done. We will consider adding a JavaScript button on the reply form and response in order to make this easier for you.

Reply #4
Thanks NWC Support (and Fred!) - there are a lot of so-called support organisations in the computing world that could learn a lot from you - with NWC, support really means it!! Congratulations and keep up the good work. Peter.

Reply #5
I came up with a workaround that might help. I have a song that starts out with guitar, bass, and full orchestra and then the orchestra drops out, leaving guitar, bass, and piano. What I did was split the piece into two songs and played around with the font sizes until I could make it look like the change happened at a page break.

Hope this might help some.