Skip to main content
Topic: What happened to CyberHymnal? (Read 16669 times) previous topic - next topic

What happened to CyberHymnal?

What has happened to the CyberHymnal? I just tried to go there, and it is gone!! I can't believe it! I am a pastor, and I us(ed) CyberHymnal regularly in preparing worship services. Has it moved, been renamed, etc.? I just can't believe that wonderful database has evaporated!!

Re: What happened to CyberHymnal?

Reply #1
G'day wadp1,
I was going to say:
I wouldn't worry too hard - the CyberHymnal seems to disappear 'bout once a year and reappears soon after.  IIRC it is hosted on a university owned machine somewhere and they may be down for maintenance or something.

BUT, having just attempted a visit I notice the url is now on what appears to be a cyber squatters site so I wonder if the domain registration has expired?

A whois lookup suggests all is OK, so I'm not really sure what's happening...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
The cyberhymnal.org DNS server DNS1.NAME-SERVICES.COM currently maps the domain to an IP address of 69.64.155.125, which redirects to http://searchalligator.com/ in a browser.

According to pir.org, the domain is in a AUTORENEWPERIOD status:

The 45-day period after a domain registration period expires and is extended (renewed) automatically by the registry.  If the domain is deleted by the registrar during this period, the registry provides a credit to the registrar for the cost of the renewal.

Reply #3
We are sad to report that our domain name has been hacked. We are trying to reach our Web hosting company (Word.net) to fix the problem, but so far they have been unresponsive, despite numerous phone calls, pages, and e-mails. The WHOIS registration shows the domain name was changed late yesterday. Please pray for us.

We can still be reached by our normal e-mail, cyberhymnal@hotmail.com. But until the Web hosting service fixes the problem, there is little or nothing we can do.

Reply #4
Cyber_Hymnal, I would not be surprised if you did not hear from your web host until at least Monday with this being Christmas Eve.  If it would be of any help to you, I saved all the saved all the CyberHymnal files I could find on the site sometime in Summer 2008, including MIDI files, NWC files and ZIP files.  If worst comes to worst I can send them as attachments or snail-mail them to you on a CD.  Hoping for the best and a full resolution for you ASAP!

Reply #5
Dear Cyberhymnal, I am so sorry to hear that your site has been hacked. We will say a prayer that this issue is resolved soon.  My son uses your site very frequently (probably almost DAILY) to find new hymns for our church. He is trying to learn how to chord the hymns for playing his guitar. We were very sad to see the site not available, and I am glad to learn the site is not expired or gone on purpose. Very glad to see you are doing what you can to get it back. Thanks for the site, it is excellent and very helpful to learn what the hymns should sound like as neither of us are accomplished musicians.

Reply #7
I have a MS WORD file with just about every hymn (lyrics only) I have used at church from Cyberhymnal and elsewhere, some of it is formatted weirdly but it's a good copy and paste resource.  I would be happy to send to anyone who would like it.

Pastor Ren