Skip to main content
Topic: Handwritten font (Read 10754 times) previous topic - next topic

Handwritten font

Could somebody make a handwritten version of the noteworthy
font or tell me how to do it? I would absolutely love that
if it's possible. thanx

Re: Handwritten font

Reply #1
Do you mean something that looks a little crooked,or less than perfect,as if it was hand-written?

Reply #2
No something, stylish, attractive, in a handwritten style,
and easy to read. like the Finale music software jazz font.
Has anyone made a font before?

Reply #3
I know that CorelDraw can create or modify fonts. I'm sure there's plenty of other programs as well. A time consuming but rewarding project, I'm sure.

Reply #4
You can change TEXT fonts in NWC but the note font is fixed to the NWC15 font (as far as I know) so the note style will always be the same - Eric will correct me if I'm wrong.
Even if you make a font it would require a change in program structure to read it.

Reply #5
Unless you replace the NWC15 font with another of the same name ;-)

Reply #6
Correct. NWC uses its own font for the noteheads and stuff, and is not user configurable.

Reply #7
Such a hand-style font is installed if you download/ install Sibelius' "Scorch" browser plug-in. Be aware, however, that it's mapped differently than the NWCV15.TTF font required by NWC. That being said, if you had a suitable font editor, you might be able to modify the symbols in NWCV15.TTF if you know what you're doing. (I don't, so won't attempt it...) :) Don't forget to make a backup of the original font just in case...

Reply #8
I don't see a consensus in what you guys are saying.
All I'm asking for is can I use a font program to customise the Noteworthy music font?
Yes or No?
I know I can change the user fonts - I mean, even Comic Sans is a better font for chord names.
But I want to use more stylish symbols for clefs and notes and things like that.
I thought Windows fonts were scalable, so if I change the Noteworthy fonts and keep identical proportions shouldn't Noteworthy show it the same?
Everybody else patches Noteworthy to suit their needs - why can't I!
Another font would suit me much better (ok so I'm a bit fussy) but if I can do it would others be interested?

Reply #9
A font like the Finale "Jazz" font would be nice.
But then NWCv15.ttf "swings" better than most of the fonts I've seen in similar programs.
I'd move drum notation above a new font in the priority for my wish list.

Reply #10
Steve:

The NWCV15.ttf can indeed be "personalized" with a font editor. I've done it. But, of course, it cannot be distributed (read the copyright notice).

I also had a problem trying to put my personalized font in the Widnows fonts folder. I believe the problem may be in one of three categories:

(1) Your font editor inserts changes to the font identification information without telling you about it; or,

(2) You have changed from the imported coding to some other style of coduing (ISO-Latin, or whatever); or,

(3) The way that Windows wants fonts to be installed, de-installed, or changed is to use the "remove font" or "install new font" menu commands from within the font control panel, rather than just moving files into or out of the font folder. Also, you may need to re-start your machine after changes.

Suggestion: If your font editor allows you to create Type 1 fonts (Postscript) as well as TTF, and if you have a drawing program (such as Adobe Illustrator) capable of finding a font and exchanging it with a different one, then you might try making a separate Type 1 variation, installing it (it does not go in the Windows fonts folder) using Adobe Type Manager (free), and take it from there.

Reply #11
I made a few changes to the music symbols in the Noteworthy font and copied the nwcv15.ttf font back into the windows font directory and Noteworthy no longer recognised it. Why is this? Why can't I personalise the font. I feel that this is a bit of a pity in that we can't do this. I think it would be good to allow the customer to choose from two or more fonts, specifically one handwritten for jazz, or other more antique styles. The final engraved score does generate a reaction in the musician - it can also be a reflection of the composer - how he has his music published. I think this is all worth putting some more effort into. If there's a patch that can be made to build a couple of extra fonts I believe that would be a step in the right direction. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Reply #12
Google dropped me on to your forum. It is indeed possible to create a custom font. A friend of mine did this for me recently, on the request of my tenant, who likes my printing (I trained to be an Architect way before computers took over the routine drafting work). If you had a preference for notation in a particular style, and were able to furnish a sample of your writing, my friend and I could probably furnish you a completely customized font in your own handwriting style, for a fee.

Reply #13
Oh, there's no doubt that it is possible to create custom music fonts, fonts that resemble a certain handwriting style, and so forth. The situation with NWC is that notes are assembled in software from a combination of font elements and drawn elements. A custom font would do nothing about the drawn elements - stems and beams. Also, flags (for eighth, sixteenth, etc.) are separate font items. That is, there is no "sixteenth note" in the NWCV15 font.

Reply #14
Anyone out there doing digitizing handwriting into personal
fonts?

Reply #15
Hey guys,
Did you notice the jazz font new at the Scriptorium? I downloaded it and it works, but it doesn't seem legal as the author has only modified the font. I don't know...

Reply #16
I just took a look at that font (both the usual way, and in my font editor). I was going to comment regarding the above question by FranMan, but decided that (1) I couldn't make my comments brief enough, and (2) I'm not an authority.

Moving right along ... In Windows, there is a difference between a "font name" and the "file name" given to a font. For the original NWCV15, both the font name and the file name are the same. It doesn't have to be that way. I could have a font named "Tymes Old Etruscan" with file name "tymoe" or even "banana." Fonts are listed by font name, not file name, in the Windows 9x font folder. Some applications expect that certain standard fonts will have particular file names. But not usually.

Suppose you have the original NWCV15 installed. If you download the jazzy font, then double-click on its file to see it in the font viewer, you are in for a surprise. It will look like the original. That is because Windows ignores the file name, looks internally to see "NWCV15," notices that a font with that font name is already installed, and displays the installed version. To see the jazzy font as it really is, you must first uninstall the original font. (Don't forget to put it back!)

A side issue: Do not place backup copies of the original and the jazzy font in the same folder. When installing a font, Windows looks for the font name, not the file name. Both the original and jazzy version are perceived as being NWCV15. Confusion will result if the fonts are not archived in readily distinguishable locations.

I could have named my "Banger" drum-head font as NWCV15 internally, but felt that (1) It might be treading on NWC's turf, and (2) Inexperienced users could get it intermingled with the real version, especially if both font files were installed, and cause themselves numerous headaches. It is easier to hex-edit a WMF output file, since a new one can be created in the event of error.

Reply #17
I do like your idea of naming Banger as such that way you can have both fonts installed and used whenever needed. The directions for the jazz font ARE very clear, however, and the jazz font does work as it is supposed to.

Reply #18
You mean, you read instructions first?

Reply #19
Who said I read the directions FIRST? No, I read them after I mess up my computer to find out what went wrong. Then I call the company and complain that the directions weren't noticable, and they give me a new computer. JUST KIDDING... I am propbably the only person who is half computer geek and half direction follower! Go ahead, call me crazy!

Reply #20
Far be it from me to call an instruction-reader crazy!

In other news:

I believe that I have figured out how to use both ordinary notes and X-head notes (or some other style) in the same file, without altering the NWC program. My "Banger" font made a universal substitution, changing all ordinary notes to X-heads. But what about, say, a combination of vocal, piano, and percussion staves, where you only want to change the percussion? Perhaps it's do-able! I have tried my method on a few test files, and it seems to work.

Stay tuned. I have to see if this also works on more complicated files. If it doesn't, then I won't release it (and won't even say what I've done, other than that it does not involve a drawing program or other graphics editing).

No promises!

Reply #21
COOL! Will this eventually lead up to having a combination on ONE staff? (Maybe with the layering feature)

Reply #22
Robert-
You know what you said about only the font deigner can change the internal font name? Well, I just edited the jazz font to become jazzme. You have to replace all occuraces of the font name including the one that is spaced out near the bottom.

Reply #23
FranMan -- I assumed you changed the jazzme font name using a hex editor. So was wrong about only a font editor being needed for that purpose. What I meant was, the file name and the font name are two different things.

Actually, some fonts cannot be changed with a hex editor (or even a font editor) due to some sort of checksum encoding (to prevent changes). But that's mostly for very unique, proprietary fonts, I'm told.

I will let the forum know the ahem, score, regarding my method for making notation changes, by this coming Thursday (July 12, 2001). So far, it works for me, but I have not tested the method on very complicated compositions, such as those with layering and color effects.

Reply #24
As I wrote above, I have been working on something. Here it is:

Power users only: I have found a way to modify WMFs output from NWC in such a way as to allow a variety of changes to the musical notation. This is a generalization of the technique used by my own "Banger" font and the jazz-style font posted on the Scriptorium.

This is for use with NWC v.1.70 32-bit. If the program is upgraded in the future, the method may or may not work with the new version.

The new method shows how modification can be applied to a portion of a WMF, rather than globally. One application is to change an individual staff to drum x-head notation without affecting ordinary-note staves in the same composition. No doubt there are other applications. Just for fun, I provided the capability to change note-heads into little smile-faces or frown-faces.

This method is not for the timid; but if you can compose music, you can do this. I cannot guarantee that it will work all the time, but I have tested it on a variety of WMFs output from NWC, and so far it works.

A sample of what can be accomplished is at:

http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum/misc/hackit.htm

From there, you can also download a ZIP file containing the necessary items, and instructions.

Either this works for you, or it doesn't. If not, keep in mind that I am not a programmer, and therefore I cannot provide further assistance. This is a "works for me" technique that I am passing along to those who might benefit. If any of you, inspired by the method, are able to improve upon it, then be my guest.

The font that comes with the ZIP file is user-modifiable to suit your own purposes, if you happen to have a font editor.

Reply #25
This might have an easier solution, perhaps the ability to enter a different font per staff. This would allow a combination of percussion notation and "normal" notation if the resulting staves were layered.

Reply #26
Indeed, Peter. But that would require a significant program change to NWC. Meanwhile, there's my (hopefully temporary) solution).

Reply #27
If you downloaded my "hackit" yesterday, go back and re-load it from my site. There was a small mistake that needed correction. Also, more symbols have been added. This should be the "final version."