Skip to main content
Topic: Files Wiped Out! Help (Read 8770 times) previous topic - next topic

Files Wiped Out! Help

I uninstalled the free on-line (unregistered) version of NoteWorth Composer using the Window NT uninstall utility. And then installed 1.55b which I received in the mail yesterday. When open the .nwc files produced with the unregistered version, the staffs are blank - no notation. Did my old files get wiped out when I uninstalled the unregistered version? They were not stored in the same place on my hard drive. How can I recover these files?

Re: Files Wiped Out! Help

Reply #1
I'm not much of a windows expert, but it seems to me that if you saved them into a folder you created, then they shouldn't have been touched. However, if you saved them into the default folder within the program, or into a folder you created within your main NWC folder, they are probably gone. If you know someone who is a real computer whiz, they may have recovery software to help you out. I'm curious as to why you uninstalled the unregistered version. When I first registered (and for all subsequent upgrades), I've just allowed the new version to overwrite the old. Good luck in finding the files.

Reply #2
It is recommended that you uninstall older versions before doing a full re-install of the program with a newer version.

As for uninstalling, none of your own songs will be removed by the uninstaller. Only files that were installed by the setup program are removed by the uninstaller. Unless you named your files with the same names as the sample songs, your files will still be present (provided something else did not remove them).

See also: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=878

Reply #3
Joe, could you precise what you mean by : "hen open the .nwc files produced with the unregistered version, the staffs are blank - no notation." ???
this would mean that your file exists, but that NWC cannot open it properly. One thing you could try is closely watching the status bar (the lowest part of the application window) while opening your files.

Otherwise I'm thinking of a problem with
. either the font (which I doubt, since NWC'd tell you), if it could not be uninstalled properly;
. or the default color. To check them :
  1. start NWC.
  2. Create a new score (Ctrl-N, Enter, Enter) or open an existing one (any is ok).
  3. Open the Options window (Tools menu, last item (Alt, T, O)
  4. Go to the Editor tab (leftmost)
  5. If Background and Actives Staff colors are the same, here is your problem. Change the Active staff color for example, and look if this change something (Type Enter to validate, since this is not applied otherwise).

Hope this helps,

Dominique

Reply #4
If Joe's problem is the same as mine, "the staffs are blank - no notation" means that you get a staff (or more than one, depending on the file), but no clef, no notes, no bar lines, nothing. Opening a blank file, manually adding a staff, and attempting to enter a clef or a note had the same end result - nothing was visible.

Holding down the space or enter key to enter a series of rests or notes repeatedly scrolls the screen horizontally but has no other effect.

Reply #5
I figured out the problem on my system. Hopefully this will help other NT/Windows 2000 users.

Apparently there is a chance that you may not have sufficient permissions to install fonts properly if you are not logged into your NT/Win2K session with the proper privileges. For me, I had to log in as the administrator of my local computer, even though my domain login had been given administrative rights on my local computer, before I could successfully install the font after uninstalling NWC.

I wonder whether this is an NT-specific issue in general or an issue with the NoteWorthy installer, because this is the only application with which I have had this problem.

Anyway, after logging in as Administrator and performing the install, my font is back and I can compose happily again.

Reply #6
it is an NT 'security' [prevents unauthorized users [non-admins] from modifying your system]

Reply #7
I have wiped some major files i needed, and now i cant recieve my finished downloads. What do i do? I can't get any programes from the net to help!!! Can u????????????                    pleeeaaasssseeee

Reply #8
Hi Chris,
your report is a bit vague but...

...and now i cant recieve my finished downloads

Assuming you're running Windows, do you have sufficient free disk space.  If your drive is nearly full, downloads appear to finish _but_ will be truncated and unusable - does this seem to describe your problem?

If it does then (I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings) "I have wiped some major files i needed", the missing files are probably unrecoverable no matter what utilities you try to download as the file space they took up will already have been re-used.  Unless, of course, they're in the recycle bin in which case you probably wouldn't have posted.

What do i do? I can't get any programes from the net to help:
a) restore from your backup.

b) find a friend who knows what they're doing, but don't hold your breath.

Don't think I've been much help I'm afraid,
Lawrie