Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI Keyboard input - recognising the lenght/timing of the notes (Read 2814 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI Keyboard input - recognising the lenght/timing of the notes

Hi,

I recently started using my MIDI keyboard to 'play' notes into NWC, but there is one huge snag... It doesn't recognise the length of the notes I play.  I have to select each note length using the normal keyboard or mouse before I play the note, which is laborious, and also excludes the possibility of recording chords of different length notes.

Any ideas how to solve this?
Thanks

Re: MIDI Keyboard input - recognising the lenght/timing of the notes

Reply #1
I was just about to ask this too. It's a great program, but unless it can't record what I play, it has a great flaw. Please let us know if there is a way or not.

Reply #2
What you describe is "Step Input".
What you require is "Real Time Recording".

To do this you need a "click track".
A single staff using channel ten with quarter notes in the required meter will do the trick.
One single measure with a Local Repeat set up for many repeats will provide the click track.

Then use the red Record button to start the piece and play in your creation from the keyboard keeping pace with the click track.
Use the stop button when complete.

Read the HELP file on the topic.
There are several alternatives for importing the recording. These can be setup from the Tools/Option/Midi/record tab.

BEWARE: You may have a lot of editing to do to clean up your 'imperfect' performance!

Reply #3
See also: faq #53

Reply #4
"Under Import Options, select the placement of the completed notated recording

Use File: New to access a rhythm template to use as background play for the record feature"

What do those two things mean?

Reply #5
>"Under Import Options, select the placement of the >completed notated recording
>
>Use File: New to access a rhythm template to use as >background play for the record feature"
>
>What do those two things mean?

1) Go to Tools | Options -> Record and look at the Import Options group box. This specifies where the recorded notes will be placed.

2) If you want to have some rhythm pattern playing as a background while you record, you can get one from File | New -> Rhythm.