Skip to main content
Topic: Autosave Operation Failed (Read 13135 times) previous topic - next topic

Autosave Operation Failed

Was there ever a definitive answer provided for this problem? I keep getting the pop-up also. I've verified my folders are setup & accessible, so I can only assume it's a bug. Does NWC know about it? (How would it get reported to them?)

Re: Autosave Operation Failed

Reply #1
Just want to confirm...

Have you gone to |Tools|Options|Folders (tab) and checked where "Auto Save/Recovery:" is pointing and made sure THAT folder exists exactly as listed?  You might even try creating a folder elswhere and pointing it to that...

I've never experienced the failure myself and AFAIK all the other times it's happened has been resolved by fixing local filesystem problems.  Most common being the folder didn't exist or in NT based systems (like XP) where rights have somehow be screwed up.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
If you get a "AutoSave feature failed" message, it is important to take it seriously. As Lawrie says, the usual cause for this problem is the location of the AutoSave folder.

Reply #3

I also get the same message. Running Vista - figured it was just one more glitch I could do without. I'm not sure I understand the solution. Where should the auto save folder be?
Here is what I have under  |Tools| Options|Folders|

Song Files:
Print Preview Copy:      C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer 2
Config Files:                C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer 2\Config
New File Templates:      C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer 2\Templates
Auto Save/Recovery:     C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer 2\Auto Save
Instrument Trees:          C:\Program Files\Noteworthy Composer 2\itrees

TIA -Duncan

Reply #4
FWIW I don't have the space between Auto and Save...

Reply #5
Hi Lawrie,
I don't either. I didn't copy but rather typed that. My mistake!
Duncan

Reply #6
When Vista is behaving normally (with User Account Control enabled), any files that you save to the Program Files area should actually appear in your user files area, specifically:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer

You might want to explicitly create a folder in your user account for NoteWorthy Composer files, including AutoSave files, such as:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\NWC

You can then point both your Song Files and Auto Save/Recovery into that folder.

Reply #7
Now that I think of it that's likely what the problem was - ie, re user accounts. I had already confirmed that the default setting for the Autosave folder did exist. However, it might be only the Admin user account that can write to files under ProgramFiles. I'm not sure about that, but it could be.

So I've changed my Autosave folder to be a new folder under MyDocuments. I will see how that works out. If I still get the intermittent error, then obviously the folder location/user account is not the problem. I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Reply #8
For some reason, I mistakenly assumed that you were using Vista.

On XP, pointing your files into your My Documents folder is a good idea.

Reply #9
Forgive me in advance because I know that this is not going to sound very nice on account of I'm FRUSTRATED once again.
Since I've had a new computer running Vista, I haven't written anything musically. Partially because I have been busy with other things. The other reason I haven't written anything is that I can't seem to get NWC to function properly. I understand that the new format of vista requires some changes in connection with how files are managed or set up, and I understand that this is not any fault of NWC.
However, I do feel that if I purchase a program (however nominal the cost), it should work. If the operating platform changes, the program may have to change too. As I say, I realize that this change is not the fault of NWC, but nor is it mine. There will come a time when XP will be the dinosaur that 3.1 has become and only a few will be using it. Everyone else who buys your product will expect it to install so that it functions properly.
I have no idea how to implement the changes in file configuration that have been suggested because that is not my thing. In essence you are speaking a foreign tongue. Just for example, "Pointing Files" is a new one on me. Never heard of the expression and I doubt that I am alone.
So far I have at least 3 problems that I didn't have before vista arrived on the scene. One or more of these may not be related to the program itself, but I just don't know.
First, I still have the problem with staves that are silent for no apparent reason. When I open a file, I don't know if all of the staves are going to play or not. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I find it impossible to work within this limitation. No one has been able to solve the mystery behind this bizarre behavior.
Second, If I don't manually save my work, I may loose it because the auto save feature doesn't seem to work.
Thirdly, the sound is similar to an old transistor radio because the sound font bank cannot be accessed from NWC.
While I realize that this is not a limitation of NWC software (as far as I can tell), these three problems together have rendered this program usless to me as a writer.
It seems to me that if the auto save file needs to be in a specific location in order to function properly, that is should be located there on setup. I do not have the skills or knowledge to move things around and I don't feel that I should need to.
Like I said before, when I install a program, I feel it should work.
Sorry for the rant but sometimes....

Reply #10
The Auto Save function works out of the box on Vista, as described in my earlier reply. It would only fail if various Vista options are disabled, which would then require tweaking of NWC2 options as well.

Reply #11
G'day Duncan,
mate, I do understand your frustration and sympathise with you...

What sound card are you using?

It seems to me that two of the problems you are having are directly related to the audio subsystem...

Sometimes silent staves could simply be that the song was configured for 2 MIDI outputs and you only have one active in your new machine - in this case I would either check the MIDI device and channel allocation of the silent staves - might be some clues there...

Lousy sound suggests you're using the windows default "MIDI Mapper" device which, in vista, cannot easily be changed from the rather ordinary Roland sound set m$ purchased ages ago...  Do you have a Creative Soundblaster - must have, you mentioned sound fonts - in which case do you have the correct vista drivers for your card and did they include the bank managament applet - some models/drivers DON'T - this is a purely Creative issue and is not related to NWC

As for the AutoSave problem, I haven't personally confronted this but I would check that vista hasn't screwed up rights to the Program Files location...

Reply #12
Lawrie, the silent staves is a very random issue. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. If a particular staff doesn't play along with the others and I change its channel, it may cause the rest of the staves not to play, or for only some of the others not to play. I don't get it at all. Other times I will open a file that previously didn't play and it will play! All of these files were written on NWC, so I would think that they should play back without any problem. I raised this issue several months ago on the forum but I thought it was just a temporary glitch as it seemed to have dissapeared as quickly as it came, but of course it is back and is quite annoying.
It seems that whenever I make my problems known to the manufacturers of either the software or the hardware, they end up pointing fingers at each other and I am still stuck with the problem. You have probably noticed my absence from the community for quite a while. I just get tired of banging my head into a wall. I'm just going to look elsewhere at this point. Thanks for your help once again. D

Reply #13
G'day Duncan,
may I ask what your system configuration is?

I am still using XP and will probably never go to vista, preferring instead to take on Windows 7 when it comes out in 2010 - I think vista is a dead end, like ME was.

Creative Soundblaset Audigy II ZS PCI card (both synths with different soundfonts loaded), Yamaha s-YXG50 softsynth, BIAB 2008 and the Roland DXi and VSC synths that came with it, Logitech 5.1 speakers, 3 GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD, NViDIA GeForce FX 5500 dual head video card with dual monitors and a Kyocera FS-1010 Laser.

Bunch of other software that isn't relevant - I never have any problems with NWC, but BIAB gives me grief if I use the DXi synth.  I believe it is DXi at fault here rather than BIAB...

NB, I have found MIDIs online that DO NOT playback properly through the Yam.  Dunno why as I haven't fully investigated but it could be instrument/bank selections that don't exist in the yam - funnily, the sound fonts loaded into the hardware synths always seem work even when one the ones I'm using doesn't have high order instruments...

I know you probably don't like having your PC pointed at, but as no one else seems to be having quite this problem I think that it becomes the most likely place to look first.

Reply #14
Bottom line here, Duncan: Vista is a buggy, ill-designed, poorly implemented, resource-hogging operating system that should never have been released. Professional IT guys are abandoning it in droves and "upgrading" - their word, not mine - back to XP. Sound card issues are among the most common, most frustrating, and most difficult-to-solve parts of the Vista disaster. Please don't blame NWC for microsoft's problems. Your best move would be to follow the IT guys back to the previous OS and pray that Microsoft gets it right next time.

Cheers and good luck,

Bill

Reply #15
Vista is a buggy, ill-designed, poorly implemented, resource-hogging operating system that should never have been released.

So, Bill, what do you really think of Vista?  C'mon, don't hold back, now...

Reply #16
Quote from: David Palmquist
So, Bill, what do you really think of Vista?  C'mon, don't hold back, now...

Well, gee, David, I thought I just told you....;-)

Those who want to follow this further may want to go this thread, which includes some notes from Eric about how hard Microsoft has made it for software developers to move programs to Vista (as well as a few more comments from Yours Truly about what a wonderful operating system it is).

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #17
Bill,
You may be right. I have thought about going back to XP. What keeps me from doing that right off is that everything that is on the pc at this point uses vista drivers. While I really have no idea about these things, it seems to me that this would create more problems than it would solve and I would be tearing my hair out in tufts. If I do decide to go that route, I will have a professional do it for me.

Lawrie:
The Model is Pavillion d4995t
Processor R Core 2 Quad Cpu Q6600 2.4 GHz
Ram 3071 MB
Vista 32 bit Operating System
1. Realteck High Definition Audio
2. Sound Blaster  X-Fi Extreme Audio (Vista)
3. ViXS Pure TV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC combo)
The only software I have installed is NWC Viewer, NWC 1&2. I also installed Yamaha Musicsoft downloader for my keyboard and Midiplayer, another keyboard related software, neither of which I have used yet, and some bible (text only) software.
The problems I am experiencing occoured long before I installed these last programs. Everything else was pre-installed on the machine from the box.
I did have to move my NWC song files from Program Files because Vista won't allow storage within the program. Other than that, I don't believe that I have changed anything.
I think we have already established that the X-Fi Audio has no access to the soundfont bank which would have been nice to know pre-purchase. I certainly would have spent the extra $30.00 for the gaming card which does allow access. I am not a gamer so the Extreme Audio card sounded like the right choice. After wasting my time with the HP techs. I have given up all hope. Either they know there are inherent problems with vista and sound and don't want to admit it, or they are clueless. Either way, the problem lies square in my lap. Totally exasperated! Again, sorry for the rant.
Duncan

Reply #18
Hi, Duncan -

If you can afford it, I would recommend going ahead and getting the X-Fi Gamer (I found it on the web for $80, but if you could still get it from HP for $30, then great).  It definitely has soundfont support and it is much better than the RealTek.

I have an HP Pavilion Elite M9000T - Intel Duo 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM (although Vista only see 3GB), Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Once I got the X-Fi Gamer, I installed it, loaded the drivers, and have had no audio problems since.  The X-Fi Audio is the lower end X-Fi without a lot of features.  I don't know why Creative names their cards so close to each other and imply features that aren't there, but they do.  As I understand it, the X-Fi gamer will also let you connect the front panel audio jacks to it, as well, although I haven't figured it out on my computer yet (but that's mainly because I haven't taken it fully apart yet to figure out which wires go where - it's pretty tight inside).

While I'm not completely sold on Vista, I'm not unhappy now.  I have turned off UAC (I know, at my own peril), but everything I load works fine and I don't have any deny access issues.  I also have turned off the crappy new Vista start menu and used the legacy menu that I can manage myself.  I think I made a few more tweaks, but just can't think of them right now.  Overall I'm very happy with both the machine and how it works (for the most part).  But I definitely was not happy with just the RealTek and the Microsoft GS Wavetable MIDI.  It sounds so much better now that I've got my soundfonts back.  To me, it was worth the extra $80.
John

Reply #19
G'day Duncan,
basically, I don't think there's much wrong with your system - looks pretty good except for the X-Fi Extreme Audio...  That really is a dissapointment for you.  I wonder if HP would do a "trade" given the card is unsuitable...

I simply have no idea about the random silent staves though I do have a suggestion I gleaned from another forum.  You might try assigning NWC to a single core...  Unfortunately I don't know how to do this (don't have vista in front of me nor do I have a multi core CPU) but I believe it has something to do with properties of the executable or perhaps the shortcut used to launch it...

I imagine the HP tech's know little or nothing about the details of the X-Fi - it isn't really a HP product, but given they sell it with their PC's you would think they'd learn something!

As John suggests, turning off UAC might resolve the Autosave/Recovery location problem, but I reckon you're just as well off by simply redefining it's location to where you definitely have no problems saving stuff.

I've read some recent articles on Vista that made me have a wry smile - seems that there are m$ executives who are very unhappy with it - some even refusing to use it as they cannot obtain drivers...  Sound familiar?  m$ have/are(?), for the first time in m$ history, cutting the price on the retail versions of it's OS - that must surely tell us something!

One thing that is known for certain - almost the entire shipment of vista since release has been on new PC's - and I personally know of dozens (we did the work for our customers) that have been retrofitted with XP using the m$ provision for doing so with a pre-existing licence that you already own...  It's a messy process, but you end up with a new licence for XP and no licence for vista.

G'day John,
you can't see all of your 4GB 'cos you have a 32 bit OS.  XP or Vista doesn't matter - things like memory in your video card etc. all exist in the memory map between 3 and 4 GB  It depends on your hardware just how much, if anything, you can see above 3 GB.  (4GB is the memory addressing limit of a 32bit OS)

Reply #20
Hi, Lawrie -

G'day John,
you can't see all of your 4GB 'cos you have a 32 bit OS.  XP or Vista doesn't matter - things like memory in your video card etc. all exist in the memory map between 3 and 4 GB  It depends on your hardware just how much, if anything, you can see above 3 GB.  (4GB is the memory addressing limit of a 32bit OS)

Yep, I knew that, but it only cost me less than $100 to get to buy two additional 1GB memory modules to bring it to 4GB (which will probably be used once I get Linux working on the machine - I've already done some preliminary testing with dual boot and it works fine - just need to deal with some of the same problems of Vista - - ->  drivers).  I remember when I paid $150 for a 32 MB RAM module; now I can get 1GB for a third of that.  My, times have changed.

But to reiterate; changing to the X-Fi Gamer (which superseded the X-Fi Music, not to be confused by the X-Fi Audio) has made all the difference in the world.  Works great for NWC; and it has low latency ASIO for other music apps that I use.
John

Reply #21
Thanks guys. I'll have to give some thought to the options. John, the Gamer card was $30.00 more than the Audio when I purchased the machine. I doubt very much that they would take a trade-in and upgrade me now. But Hey, if I can solve this with an $80.00 card, it will certainly be worth it to me. Thanks again as always.
D

Reply #22

I simply have no idea about the random silent staves though I do have a suggestion I gleaned from another forum.  You might try assigning NWC to a single core...  Unfortunately I don't know how to do this (don't have vista in front of me nor do I have a multi core CPU) but I believe it has something to do with properties of the executable or perhaps the shortcut used to launch it...

I don't know how to do it permanently, but processes can be set to one core by: Task Manager > (Processes Tab) > Right Click > Set Affinity > choose a core.

I have a multi core system and NWC works fine, but it is worth a try.

Reply #23
By the way, on XP, yes, changing the Autosave folder to one under My Documents worked (since the one defaulted by NWC did exist, but a "Limited" user account can't access - which I use on a daily basis).