Skip to main content
Topic: Minimum/Recommended System Requirements (Read 2380 times) previous topic - next topic

Minimum/Recommended System Requirements

I use NWC on an old laptop just because it's easy to tote around to gigs. The laptop configuration is:

Pentium 166 MHz
4MB RAM
Windows 95

OBSERVATION: I have a file that is rather large (300 measures using all 16 channels with 19 staffs). It takes approx. 6 seconds from the time I hit play (F5) until the music begins.

QUESTION: On faster computers, is the runtime more "instantaneous"? Using another program, that has never been a problem.

What is the minimum I need to get this to operate with immediate results?

Re: Minimum/Recommended System Requirements

Reply #1
I'd say pump the ram up to 32 and you should be in business.

Reply #2
I agree. Windows 95 is no problem. I have been using Noteworthy on Windows 95, on a 200 MHz computer, with pleasure. The only real difference is memory.

Reply #3
When you select Play in NWC2, the notation gets "compiled" into a MIDI performance. The lag time  you are experiencing is most likely the result of a combination of factors:

• the large number of parts (19) with 300 measures

• a slow CPU

• a small amount of RAM
Each of these factors has the potential to slow down the start of play back, especially CPU/RAM clock speed and the size of free RAM. The only thing that you can probably control on this system is the amount of RAM, so this is probably the only area on which you should focus.

A newer machine would probably start play much, much faster.