Skip to main content
Topic: So, after 4 years can we still not make an "x" note? (Read 6263 times) previous topic - next topic

So, after 4 years can we still not make an "x" note?

Anyone found a way of doing this yet?  I've read the threads so hopefully this will not invoke a philosophical discussion on shapes and sizes - just wondering - I'm doing a medley of Lion King songs and there are so many spoken notes - "x" notes....

Re: So, after 4 years can we still not make an "x" note?

Reply #1
Maybe "you" cannot make an x-note, but "we" can. Read on. I will limit this discussion to spoken-word x-notes. It call also be done for drum notes, either globally or (NEW AND IMPROVED!) for a staff. See me other thread about Open Office software.

For spoken-word x-notes:

Go to the Scriptorium and get the Bongos font. You might also want to look at my own "MusiSync" font accessible from:

http://www.icogitate.com/~ergosum

Create your music with ordinary lyrics, as usual. Then, make the notes invisible where you want x-notes. Place an appropriate symbol from Bongos or MusiSync as "text" atop the hidden NWC notes. These two fonts have pre-made notes (not just x-heads) of a variety of types. With Bongos, you can even do beams.

Not good enough for you? Then get the xnotes font from the Scriptorium. Also, get the free Open Office software from:

http://www.openoffice.org

Export a WMF from NWC using File > Print Preview > Copy. Open the WMF in Open Office. Modify it to contour. Modify it by entering the group. Select the range of notes in question. Change the font to NWCX15 (the x-notes font).

Whether or not NWC will build x-notes into a future edition is anyone's guess. But my point is, you can do it NOW. You can also place slurs where you want them, using the nwslurs font, with similar techyniques. it is not hard.

Reply #2
Thank you VERY much Robert - you are a true gentleman!! Much appreciated!

Reply #3
Thank you. On the Internet, nobody knows I'm a dog.

Reply #4
The method described in xfonts.zip ReadMe is a bit complicated.  It also involves another program.  I would like NWC to be independent from any other programs.
And I am still waiting for Bongos to have stem-down notes.

I checked out your site, Robert.
Funny, you don't look like a dog...

Reply #5
Sure, I look like a dog. I'm behind that guy in shorts, putting my calling card on his shoes.

As for stem-down Bongs font: that's a back-burner sort of thing. Will happen when it happens. Meanwhile, check out my new font for tablature (see message elsewhere on the forum).

Reply #6
Do I need to have NWC opened when I download "Bongos"?  It won't open it.

Reply #7
I don't know if I'm duplicating Robert A.'s info or not, and I haven't tried his method, which is likely more useful than my quick workaround.

I use text entry of the normal keyboard "pipe" character | that appears on the shift of the backslash key on my keyboard, to produce a regular quarter note drum beat for printing and display (not playback).  Don't know how to make an eighth or sixteenth, so it's not a perfect method, but it works for quarters.

Create a hidden rest of the appropriate value where you want the x to appear.  Then insert text immediately before it, using Page Text font for the pipe character and setting it to be placed at the next note/rest. Now insert text immediately after the pipe entry and before the rest, using lower case g in Userfont NWCV15 or NWCX15 (both have it).  Use the same placement setting.

You can copy this three item group as many times as you want it.  The x will unfortunately appear immediately above or below the pipe, with no offset, but it gives a reasonable result for me.  The rest is needed to ensure the appropriate placement of the x-note within the bar.  If the staff is devoted to drums, you can designate midi channel 10 and use a hidden note rather than the hidden rest to get playback.  In my situation, though, the xnote is in the string bass line, where many bars consist of alternate plucking the string and slapping the body.  So I used a hidden staff with hidden notes to place the slaps where I want to hear them.  Gave a lot of life to the playback.

Reply #8
Amber: "Bongos" is an ordinary TrueType font. Before using it, you must install it in your fonts folder. In Windows, open the Control Panel, then place the font into the fonts folder.

Bongos is used as TEXT in NWC (or in any program). That is, if you want to place any of the symbols from Bongos, you make it one of your user-defined fonts, and use the text editor. Bongos does not change NWC's ordinary notes into X-heads. If you do want to add a complete "Bongos" staff, the easiest way is to export a WMF of your music to a word processor, then add the Bongos staff in the word processor.

The download is OK, at least at my end. I don't have trouble using any font in NWC, as text.

Rest of World: I just added "Bongos2" with the stems down. Now, you have a choice, or can use both. It's on my web site, but won't be on the Scriptorium for a few days.

And don't forget to check out the preview of my tablature font (see other message thread). This one is a winner, big time.

Reply #9
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH! I get it now! lol

Reply #10
I just added "Bongos2" with the stems down.
EXCELLENT!  I'm so happy that I'm screamin'!
Just made a guitar part for swing band -
it

looks

AWESOME!

Mr. Allgeyer, you da man!

Reply #11
No, no, no, He da dog! ;-)

Reply #12
Arf.

Reply #13
I still tried to download it but i cannot place the font in it.  I looked in all the word processors and NWC.  What am I doing wrong?  PS:  Yep I think he is da dog ;-) ARF!

Reply #14
Meowrrr.. m-m-mrow... Meerrow!... Purr-rr-rr...

Translation:

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Fonts. File | Install New Fonts. Browse to where you saved the downloaded font, double-click on the filename. Done! Take a break for a nice can of tuna. :)

----

In NWC, select the font as one of your User fonts in Page Setup | Fonts.

Reply #15
You da dog...I'm da katt! lol.  Yep it works 4 me purrrr-rr!

Reply #16
On the install fonts thing on the control panel it doesn't find nothing.  What do I have to do?

Reply #17
A complicated question! Some possible answers:

(1) The file downloaded from the Internet is not the font itself, but is a "zip" file (compressed. You need to "unzip" it to get the font. If you already have an unzip program, just double-click the zip file to open it. If you don't have an unzip program, search the Internet for "CAM unzip" or any number of alternatives.

(2) The easiest way to install a font (on recent versions of Windows) is to drag-and-drop the font file onto the fonts control panel.

(3) Within NWC, you will not be able to see a font available for use as a "user" font, until the font is first installed in the system.

(4) How NWC allows you to select a "user" font: In page setup, highlight one of the font selections such as "user 1", then click "modify". A dialog box will allow you to choose the font and size. NWC will still refer to it as "user 1" rather than by its own font name. When you place symbols with the "user" font, it may appear as plain text in the text editor window. But it will show as symbols when you OK the entry and go back to the music editor.

Reply #18
5) Another possible answer: you've forgotten where you've saved the fonts file. The install fonts dialog will show whatever fonts files are stored in the directory (folder) shown in the lower left corner of the dialog box. Double-click on the appropriate folder icon to "open" it, revealing its contents; if there are font files (*.ttf or *.fot) then they will be shown in the box at the top left of the dialog.

Reply #19
OK ;-)