Skip to main content
Topic: Hairpin Problem (Read 5532 times) previous topic - next topic

Hairpin Problem

While transposing a Db Piccolo part for my C Flutes, I ran into this situation.  Both the 2-bar 1st ending and the 2-bar 2nd ending had crescendos.  The notation should look like this in sequence:  1st ending with 2-bar crescendo, repeat sign, 2nd ending with (another) 2-bar crescendo.  However, despite entering each crescendo separately, NWC2 wanted to make one long 4-bar crescendo, right across the repeat sign.  The quick fix, of course, was to stop the first hairpin one note short, or start the second one a note late.

I've been away from the program for several months -- maybe you are already aware of this problem.  Didn't see anything in forum searches, tho.  Latest upgrade is terrific.

Re: Hairpin Problem

Reply #1
I haven't tried it (lazy, I guess) but try an invisible grace note, on the same pitch as the first note of the second ending, tied to that note.  Then, start the second hairpin between the grace note and the "real" note.  This should separate the two hairpins.

Ugly, but it should work.

Reply #2
Good eye, Peter.  Good workaround, Cyril - it works.

Definitely a bug for Eric to deal with.  Perhaps there needs to be a "start hairpin with this note" option?

Reply #3
Another workaround would be to include an invisible dynamic, either right after the first crescendo or right before the second. The hairpins line up with the latest dynamic or dynamic change (as far as I understood).

This behavior is not only related to special endings and repeats. You may want to have one bar of crescendo, a regular bar line and another bar of crescendo after eachother, without making it one long crescendo. Maybe it is required to engrave a dynamic in between those two though, so musicians won't scratch their head about what it means.

Reply #4
G'day Anders,
I think you have the "correct" answer.

The "rules" for haripins ensure they don't function unless there is a dynamic somewhere before and somewhere after after the hairpin.

A "destination" dynamic breaks the hairpin and is appropriate as the hairpin needs to know the "destination" velocity/dynamic.  A hidden one works just as well as a visible one.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
... and what about (for example) choral works that need both a crescendo and a diminuendo on the same 4/4 note? Or arriving to half of the 4/4 note with a previously-begun crescendo hairpin, and continuing the remaining half of the 4/4 note with a decrescendo hairpin?

It occurs really frequently, and I think there's no other way to get these hairpins than adding them with the Crescendo font.

Am I right?

Reply #6
There are three possible ways to do this.
1) instead of a 4/4 note use 2 tied 2/4 notes with the dynamic before the 2nd.
2) Chord the 4/4 note to a 2/4 rest and add a second 2/4 rest for the 'anchor'
3) Use an mpc.

Tina