Skip to main content
Topic: User Tool Folder (Read 3488 times) previous topic - next topic

User Tool Folder

Reply #2
Currently, the path to the tool must be specified relative to the NWC2 program folder and most folks seem to put their tools in:
C:\Program Files\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Scripts

But if Vista is going to be fussy about modifications in this area, Scripts might better be put somewhere under 'My Documents', say someting like:
My Documents\NWC2\Scripts

But if I do that, the invocation for 'To NotePad.vbs' on my (XP) machine would look like:

WScript "C:\Documents and Settings\Rick\NWC2\Scripts\To Notepad.vbs"

If there was a folder option for where to store scripts or the default was changed to the Song folder the process might be a bit simpler.

My computer can boot to either Win98 or XP, so to keep things simple I save all the scripts I am developing to a 'Scripts' folder off the root of a thumb drive, so my invocation is:

WScript "E:\Scripts\To Notepad.vbs"

but this is hardly a solution for the casual user.

BTW, I agree that the samples should not be changed.
Registered user since 1996

User Tool Folder

Reply #3
I think Rick has a good point that the Scripts location should be an editable preference, just like song files, but I see no great need to change the default from its' current location.

Most users of NWC are probably going in as the PC's "Owner" in which case rights should not be an issue.

However,should this become a problem, then a directory off "My Documents" is probably OK - in the short term - microsoft seem to be changing this behaviour as well...  My Docs will probably no longer exist in a version or 2.

The interface is becoming more Mac like every release and we soon will have no ability to find anything - Windows version n will dictate file locations just as MacOs does now.

Hey Microsoft - it ain't broke - stop fixing it!
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

User Tool Folder

Reply #4
Hey Microsoft - it ain't broke - stop fixing it!

....and don't we all wish that Microsoft was listening....

Vista is the best reason I've seen to switch to Linux, and I'd like to thank Eric for keeping NWC compatible with WINE (as explained in another thread), because when I have to replace my XP laptop I am very likely to go the Linux route and I really don't want to lose this program. Personally, I still miss DOS. Bought a PC instead of a Mac so I could work under the hood - now they won't let me get my hands dirty...<sigh>...

Bill

User Tool Folder

Reply #5
This amounts to a lot of "configurable folders" for software that is generally easy to use. This is fine during the Beta stage while we sort out what is really necessary, but at some point some triage shold be applied.

I don't see anything going on in 'Auto Save/Recovery' that couldn't be done in %TEMP%. Surely any user above 'Guest' should have Create/Modify permission there.

It would not upset me if 'Print Preview Copy' defaulted to 'Song Files' on startup and thereafter defaulted to the last folder used for a WMF save. I use 'Print Preview Copy frequently.

User Tools could happily co-exist in the 'Config' folder. I suspect that templates and itrees could as well.
Registered user since 1996

User Tool Folder

Reply #6
This amounts to a lot of "configurable folders" for software that is generally easy to use. This is fine during the Beta stage while we sort out what is really necessary, but at some point some triage shold be applied.

<snip>

User Tools could happily co-exist in the 'Config' folder. I suspect that templates and itrees could as well.

Hmm, I know you don't like clutter, neither do I especially, but I think I would prefer to have some logical separation at a folder level than have a bunch of different function files all in one folder...  For mine that would be worse clutter.

We have:
AutoSave
Config
itrees
SAMPLES
Scripts
Template

And if you've installed the user tools we add:
PHP

Perhaps Config and itrees could be combined - they are configuration related after all...

As for the rest, my preference is for them to remain as they are...  They are all (except Scripts) user configurable anyway...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: User Tool Folder

Reply #7
We have considered making this fully configurable. However, adding a script really is an admin function, so it is appropriate for this level of permission to be expected. In reality, the permission issue is really about the use of a file based scheme to store configured tools (via nwc2UserTools.ini). As long as the user has write access to the Config folder, the user has the ability to add new tools, even if they are not in the default Scripts folder.

If:

• you have a custom location preference for your scripts, and
  • you tend to manually add scripts often using the NWC2 GUI

...then, I would recommend that you add a shortcut to your other folder within the NWC2 Scripts folder. This will make it easier for you to access your custom scripts.