Skip to main content
Topic: high text (Read 3404 times) previous topic - next topic

high text

I am doing 4-part vocal music.  Sometimes the soprano part has it's own lyrics, which are placed above the upper staff.  But also, when you do a medley, the title of the next song segment goes above the staff too.  When they both happen at the same time, I need to put the text above the lyric line.  But when I run the cursor up above the lyric line, it disappears! (Instead of the page scrolling up to accomodate it.)  In fact, I can insert text up there (though I can't see it on the screen.)  The only problem is that if I have to modify that text, there's no way to see what I'm doing.  Isn't there some way to scroll the display up higher?

Re: high text

Reply #1
I'm familiar with the problem, as I have encountered it. I personally don't know of a way of seeing that text outside of print preview.

BUT you can still access it with the cursor, and edit it, even though you don't see it. The trick: If you have the cursor in the correct HORIZONTAL position (relative to other text and notation), then you can select whatever is there (on the active staff), even if the cursor is not at the correct VERTICAL position.

This works because the selection anchors in NWC are placed from left to right, even if the relative positions of the objects (when printed) are the same.

To make this work, you have to remember where you inserted the text anchor, relative to other things. Sweep the mouse in the correct location, and your off-screen text will be selected. Right-click for properties, and you can view its contents for editing.

Reply #2
Add a temporary new staff, and move it to the top.  This gives you a bit more space at the top of the window.  If you need to, change the staff's vertical values, or add another.  Once you've completed what you need to do, simply delete the temporary staff/staves.

This trick also works when the lowest staff has text that's too low for the window.

Reply #3
I always go to F2 and increase the upper vertical number in the visual tab and then I can see the top of the page.

Kath

Reply #4
The advice by Ewan and Kath is very good! I learned something new.

Reply #5
Thanks,everyone.  You solved my problem for me.

Webb

Reply #6
I often do the same (adding an extra staff on the top) which I do not display. But I also use it for extra work: it's really useful when you want to use the tools such as transpose, check beaming, etc only on a portion of a score.
Simply copy/paste the part you want, apply the tool(s) on that extra staff, cut and paste back.
Of course that stuff is hidden and muted :) I only delete it when sending the file or when I'm sure the score is achieved.