Skip to main content
Topic: tempo variance (Read 2611 times) previous topic - next topic

tempo variance

Hello! I have a question. I made a little song and tried to put in a rallentando at the end. However, no matter what i tried, the song would not slow down. Any ideas as to why? Thanks so much!

Re: tempo variance

Reply #1
Add a new tempo at the very end of the song, then change its visibility to never.  An alternative would be to use an mpc for that.  A rit., rall., or acc. needs to know where it is going.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Note that the rit will effect the music from the previous tempo indication (no matter how far back) and the next one.  So, besides the rit (with visibility = never) you should insert TWO tempo indications, one at the point you want the slow-down to start, one at the end, also (both) made invisible.  If you simply want to hold the final note, then you can put an invisible tempo indicator just before it, something like 1/8 = 30.  (I don't think you are allowed to use a number less than 30.)

Reply #3
NWC Help is not too clear on this but in my experience the rit does not behave as Cyril says.

Two tempo indications are needed, one before the rit and one after. NWC needs to know not only where it is going but also where it is coming from.  But the rit definitely starts where the rit is placed - not from the previous tempo indication.

To clarify:

Bar 1, tempo indication: quarter = 120,

Bar 5, tempo varieance: rit

Bar 8, tempo indication: quarter = 60.

The tempo will remain at quarter = 120 in bars 1,2,3 and 4.  In bar 5 it will start to slow until it reaches quarter = 60 in bar 8.

HTH

Stephen