Skip to main content
Topic: Help on Repeats (Read 5446 times) previous topic - next topic

Help on Repeats

I'm curious as to why there is nothing in the help file about repeats. OK it gives samples of repeats in the Samples but no explanation of how to create a simple repeat of a measure. I've checked the numerous topics on repeats but they are all about special situations with repeated references to Da Capo?? I'm sure I'll figure it out by trial and error but it does puzzle me why the basic help file ignores the issue.

Re: Help on Repeats

Reply #1
Ok I finally figured it out by trial and error. Let's hope I remember it now for the next time ;)

Reply #2
Hi,

Would you by any chance be able to explain it to me? I'm writing a ragtime piece which will have an A-A-B-B-A-C-D structure (something like the "Maple Leaf Rag".) I figured out how to repeat after the first ending, but now the second ending won't play.

Reply #3
Enclose A with Master Repeats (MRs) and the same with B.

At the end of A, before the MR Close insert to Coda.

At the end of B and after the MRC, in other words at the start of C, insert both DC al Coda and Coda.

You'll want to right justify the DC al Coda and left justify the Coda for appearance sake.

This only works because of a quirk - NWC ignores MRs once it has encountered a DC. If you wanted A to repeat the second time then you'd have to play around with Local Repeats which is much trickier.

Reply #4
<<<Enclose A with Master Repeats (MRs) and the same with B.>>>

I'm assuming by this you mean the brackets numbered "1." and "2.", for the first and second endings, right? I insert the "To Coda" command in the bar just preceding ending 1.?

And what exactly is the "Master Repeat" function? Is that what opens up when you press "S" on the keyboard?

Rachel

Reply #5
No, that's not right  - my fault for being too concise. I'm not using |¯1 and |¯2 at all.

On the contrary all references to MRs are to bar lines, particularly in their incarnation of Master Repeat Open and Master Repeat Close. Just put in a bar line and set it to the appropriate MR type. The junction of A and B will require a closing MRClose followed in close order by an opening MROpen.

You don't need 1st and 2nd time bars in your piece. A starts with MRO and closes with MRC. Then B does exactly the same. Then come DC al Coda and Coda.

Reply #6
NWC ignores MRs once it has encountered a DC.
This is not a "quirk."
When D.C. al Coda, D.S. al Coda, D.C. al Fine, or D.S. al Fine are used in "real" music (by "real" musicians), repeats are not used the second time they are encountered.  If 1st and 2nd endings are used, the first ending is skipped.  NWC is just following the rules.

[By "real" music/musicians, I mean as opposed to "virtual" music/musicians.  I am not implying that you are not a "real" musician.]

Reply #7
This is all very confusiing, all the more so for me because my knowledge of musical notation is limited to begin with (I generally play by ear, and am new to composing). Is there a place on the Noteworthy Composer site where I can be taken through a step-by-step tutorial of exactly the things you guys are talking about?

Reply #8
The Samples folder contains several Repeat examples, including descriptions in the File|Info text. This is a good place to start. Pages 23 and 24 in the NWC 1.75 booklet (on the CD) also cover this area.

Reply #9
I'm able to get it to repeat after the first ending, but after that it does not go to the second ending.

I think part of the problem may be that I can't seem to find the Master Repeat Open function. When I clicked on Staff Properties, I found the Master Repeat Close in the drop-down menu, as well as End Section, but the closest thing to a Master Repeat Open I found there was Open (hidden). Somehow I don't think that's what you all were talking about.

Another problem may be that I have the evaluation version, not the full version, so some functions might not be enabled.

Reply #10
Ed - you're right in most cases, but sometimes you do need the repeat and it has been the subject of many requests that we ought to be able to specify the required behaviour. My comment was intended as a gentle nudge ;-)

Rachel - you're barking up the wrong tree. Get rid of the MRC at the end of your staff - you don't need it in your example.

Now insert a bar line at the end of section A, select it, right click on the selection and click on properties. Select the Master Repeat Close style. Now insert another bar line and change its style to Master Repeat Open. At the end of B put another MRC (you could actually just copy and paste the existing one!)

After that insert DC al Coda and Coda, (you'll find them in Insert/Flow Direction, or just type F in the right place and follow the menu), and there you are.

Reply #11
I'm sorry for continually bothering everyone like this, but I should probably clarify what I said earlier. I *cannot find* the Master Repeat Open function--it is *not there*. I right-clicked at the end of A just as you suggested--and the Staff Properties menu came up as it was supposed to. Below the window that lists the name of the piece are two drop-down windows, with the following selections:

Group: Standard

Ending Bar: Section Close
Master Repeat Close
Single
Double
Open (hidden)
I did not see a Master Repeat Open among those selections. Unless that's what the Open (hidden) is, and I can't get that to work.

Rachel

Reply #12
Rachel, read Peter's reply a little closer.

Reply #13
The various repeat styles are available on Bar Lines (not through the Staff Properties).

Reply #14
Found it. Thank you all--and I'm sorry to be a bother.

Rachel