Skip to main content
Topic: Simple Problem, please help! (Read 3397 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple Problem, please help!

Hi,

I'm writing out a drum score and i'm trying to achieve the following in NWC 1.7...

_ _ _
| | | |
X X X X

X X
| |
-

But I can't seem to beam the kick drum notes (the two notes with stems down) as well as the high hat notes (with the stems going up)

Is there a way to do this? I figure there must be...

Many thanks,

Mark Hiscock

Re: Simple Problem, please help!

Reply #1
Hmmm, the spacing has screwed up with my notes..... just going to try that again.....

_ _ _
| | | |
x x x x

x x
| |
-

cheers.....

Reply #3
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I've only yesterday found out about NWC and this forum so i'm a complete newbie when it come to NWC.

Cheers for the tip but I only used x's as I say no other way of representing a note.

The original problem still stands!

Many Thanks,

mark.

Reply #4
I think staff layering is what you are asking for. Noteworthy does not directly support two groups of beamed noted on top of each other, but there IS a solution:

1)Write your top line of notes out as you normally would, making sure all of the stems are up (highlight all of the staves and click the stem up button)

2)Create a new staff and write the second line that should go under #1, making sure all of the stems are down.

3)Click on File / Page Setup / Contents tab -- select the "Allow Layering" checkbox, click "OK"

4)Click on staff number one, go to Staff / Staff Properties (or just hit F2) and click the Visual tab

5)Click the "Layer with next staff" checkbox and hit "OK"

6)Your notes are now beamed together on the top and bottom. They are not permantly together, you can separate the staves again by clicking on staff #1, going to staff properties and uncheck the "layer..." checkbox. If there are any rests in either line, you might need to move them up or down to get the correct look for the music.

Let me know if this works for you :)
-j

Reply #5
(there should be an edit button on these forums...)

my step #1 should say "(highlight all of the notes on the first staff and click the stem up button)"

repeat this step for the downstem notes, but clicking the
stem down button