Skip to main content
Topic: triplets, quitlets, ecet. and gace notes (Read 10149 times) previous topic - next topic

triplets, quitlets, ecet. and gace notes

I downloaded NWC just yesteday and i liked it. While Composing A Piano Peace I came across the need to write a"Septole" (seven eights for one one half) I did not see the way to do it (I often write "quintoles", "Septoles" ect.)
Second : I tried to enter a Grace note but it was not played right (it seemed it was skiped) I had to enter a Doted Sixteens to get the rihgt thing. this, of course, changed the measure to something odd.
Best regards
Eliezer Rubinstein

Re: triplets, quitlets, ecet. and gace notes

Reply #2
All of these work-arounds seem to be for note lengths less than 1/4. How about writing a quarter note pentuplet (whatever you people want to call them) such as appears in "The Pines of Rome/Pines of the Appian Way"? I guess that I should also add that I don't care about the MIDI playback, but I do wish the score would print correctly.

Reply #3
About grace notes: grace notes "steal" time from the following note. If there are notes on other staves above the grace notes, time is not "stolen" from them so they will start playing at the same time as the grace notes, which may be why you do not hear them. The solution is to place grace note rests (press =, then space) in front of the other notes.

If you think the grace note rests look ugly, select them, do ctrl-E, offset them so they appear above the staff, then manually white them out.

About n-tuplets: I use the method in the bottom part of https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=148 If you want 7 eighths in the space of 4 (I think that is what you want), then multiply your tempo by 7/4 before the notes, and put it back to what it was after the notes. You can hide the tempo changes. If you have notes in other staves below the tuplet, you will have to pad them with an extra 3/8 worth of rests. Again, you can move the rests below the staff and white them out by hand.

Reply #4
Grace note rests - what a concept!

Reply #5
Yeah! Now we just need staccato rests, and rest chords! ;-)

Reply #6
I think it's up to Noteworthy to write a little updating, making it possible to insert duols, quartoles, etc., just as they did with triplets.
This can't be so hard to do!

Reply #7
I put on my rest chords after taking off my work genes.

Reply #8
Multiple-uplets are on the wish list.

Reply #9
I've been looking at NWC 2.0, thinking of buying an upgrade license (I probably lost my original disk 2 years before this topic was last posted in). But although there are lots of conveniences and prettification that are pretty cool, it looks like, 7 years later, there's *still* no way to do tuplets other than triplets, short of really unpleasant workarounds! Is this still on the radar?

A way to put in arbitrary tuplets using enterable x:y notation (e.g., 11:7 for 11 even notes that take up the space usually taken up by 7 notes, to use a really obscure example) would be ideal, but even hardcoded quituplets and septuplets would be a huge improvement--neither note form is very rare in music written since 1850 or so ("Arabian Coffee" from the Nutcracker Suite has septuplets, IIRC), and I think other tuplets (except duplets, quadruplets, etc, which can be done via dotting) are substantially rarer than those two.

Reply #10
The pentuplets in Meditation from Thais look and sound like they were built in.  Not too bad for a workaround.
Since 1998