Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics, clefs (Read 2620 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics, clefs

Hi, I'm finally a registered user. I have 2 more questions.
1)Why are the lyrics in NWC left justified instead of centered under the note as in all the books I've seen?
2) How do you convert a G Clef to a bass clef or the reverse? Sometimes in imported MIDI it is neccesary to do this to print a part that doesn't have more legger lines than a truck could hold.

Re: Lyrics, clefs

Reply #1
> How do you convert a G Clef to a bass clef or the reverse?

You mean transforming an existing clef? Just select it (highlight it), right click and select properties (or press Ctrl + e or Alt + Enter), select the desired clef from the pull-down list box at the "Clef" tab.

If you add a new clef, just press "c" and do the same thing with described above.

Hth

Reply #2
I've just been able to figure out another probablity that you may have meant: You want to some king of transpose the staff with one clef to its correspondent with other.

Say, you have a treble-cleffed staff containing music with the lowest note F3. First of all, "force accidentals" from "Tools" menu. Then, change (or insert) the clef as described at the previous reply. Now, select the portion you like to move to bass clef. Press Ctrl + Shift + Upward keys until the F3 is placed at the second_from_top line of the staff, that is where the clef is placed. Lastly, select "transpose staff" from "Tools" menu and leave the "0 semitones" value as is, in order to restore the sans explicit accidental outfit.

Hth

Reply #3
I move notes from a treble clef to a bass cleff all the time (I sing bass, and prefer to read it on an F-clef rather than an octave down on a G-clef).

If the original music is on a G-clef (octave down), simply select (highlight) all of the notes), then SHIFT+CTRL+uparrow, 5 times. This moves all of the notes up. (Ertrugral was saying the same ting). De-select the notes, then change the clef from G-clef to F-clef. Do not change the key signature.

For the benefit of new users: moving notes up or down is not the same thing as transposing! If I have a melody written, in key of C, then moving all the notes up 1 (with no other changes) is *not* the same as having the same melody in the key of D. But for changing clef as described, the combination of moving notes and clef change is equivalent to an octave shift, for which there is no need to change the key signature.