Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with NWC and Hauptwerk (Read 3852 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with NWC and Hauptwerk

Hi.
I'm using NWC with Hauptwerk, and I'm finding  that before NWC starts to play, some of the combination pistons in Hauptwerk are being triggered. Does NWC send any MIDI messages before it starts playing?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Re: Problem with NWC and Hauptwerk

Reply #1
In general, NWC does not send any messages until you initiate the Play sequence. Once you press Play, messages are sent (including any assigned instruments, channel volume, pan, and eventually notes). You can see what messages are sent when you press play by exporting the file as a MIDI file, or by using a MIDI spy utility.

FAQ - How do I create a MIDI File (*.mid)?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/2.htm

Reply #2
Also, if your MIDI port usage is "While Playing" or "While active" from Tools, Options, then the driver may also be sending some messages to the device upon initialization.

Reply #3
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll make a MIDI file and check it out.
Mick Berg.

Reply #4
I found the problem, although I am somewhat mystified. I had set up NWC to use instruments from the General MIDI soundfont. Using MIDIOX, I saw that the patch change messages, and volume and pan messages were being sent when playback started. By setting the instrument to "none" I got rid of my problem. The volume and pan messages are still being sent, but don't matter. Strange thing is that my Hauptwerk stops and pistons are on MIDI channels 5 and 6, and the messages were being sent on channels 1 and 3. Still I don't have the problem any more, and that's good enough for me! Thanks for all the suggestions.
Mick Berg.

Reply #5
I found the problem, although I am somewhat mystified. ... The volume and pan messages are still being sent, but don't matter.
You can suppress these messages by setting the fields to -1 as described <here> (click on Part Volume and/or Stereo Pan).
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
There you go. When in doubt, read the manual!
Thanks,
Mick Berg.