Skip to main content
Topic: Importing syncopated 4-4 (Read 3897 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing syncopated 4-4

I tried to import a midi tune (Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight"),
but it came out rather scrambled. I tried a few things
(like import compound time),but nothing cured it.
Could this be because of a 12-8 tune scored in 4-4?
Does midi even give a time signature? We are new to computer music(and computers in general),
and are checking out what is
around in the way of useful programs for teaching.
Thanks,
Sheldon and Robyn.

Re: Importing syncopated 4-4

Reply #1
The MIDI file standard does include a time signature. NWC will use the time signature if it is included in the MIDI file. If no time signature is found, then 4/4 is assumed. You can manually change the signature to 12/8, export, then re-import in order to get imported results in 12/8 form.

Reply #2
Many MIDI files, especially popular music, will show up as rather bizzare when notated by a program such as NWC (even far more expensive notation software will give you this problem). A lot of the MIDI files you come across were created by playing a MIDI instrument and not with a notation program. Because of subtle nuisances in playing, the file doesn't always fit real well into notation, even if it sounds pretty good when played through a MIDI player. You can help yourself by setting time signatures and playing around with the note duration settings when importing. I have often found, however, that I have to do some serious editing of rhythms and there is no other way around it.

Reply #3
Absolutely. To help with rhythm editing, you can set up a macro to automatically actually change groups of notes (say a triplet or more complex pattern) into a set rhythmic pattern. I know I'm flogging a dead horse here (euthanased by ms themselves) but recorder macros are really really useful.

Andrew

Reply #4
ok, I tried editing the scores to l2/8, then exporting,
then reimporting, but I got the same thing back.
(I guess that's not too surprising...)
Thanks for the tips,I can see it's a common problem. I'll
keep hacking away at it.
P.S.- Oops! That tune was Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World,
obtained at the Art Bell web site (www.artbell.com ,look for
bumper music)