Skip to main content
Topic: Need adapter for Yamaha PSR-175 keyboard (Read 10686 times) previous topic - next topic

Need adapter for Yamaha PSR-175 keyboard

My girlfriend lost the adapter for her Yamaha PSR-175 keyboard.  I see on the back that it is rated for 12 Volts, but no amperage rating.  Does anyone know the mA of the adapter?  Thanks for your help, she's been dying to play it since we moved.

Re: Need adapter for Yamaha PSR-175 keyboard

Reply #1
Just go on to Ebay, you'll find heaps.

Reply #2
As I said on Ebay - heaps - Try item no. 7368852246 but you don't say what your country supply voltage is.Secondary should be 12v. at least 1000ma.

Reply #3
I just looked in my Magic Trunk, and there's one. 12 V DC, 1.25 A.
That should be quite enough. So if you can't find one, tell me - we'll find a way of handling the shipping cost (don't really need any cash for it...) After all, we don't want your girlfriend to be unhappy, do we?

Reply #4
Hey thank you all for the replies.  I am ashley, the girlfriend.  Ha Ha.  Hey rob if you wanna contact me at aheadon@hotmail.com for the details............I am really interested.

Reply #5
Is there a possibility of overloading the keyboard if you run too many amps through it?

Reply #6
Yes, but to do that you would have to run more than the recommended voltage thru it.  Otherwise, using batteries  would fry it as new batteries can put out several amps (at least for a minute or two).
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Hi Ashley,
Is there a possibility of overloading the keyboard if you run too many amps through it?
Short answer - no

Long answer - the current (amp) rating of the supply is simply what they supply can deliver.  The actual current that will flow is dictated by the supply voltage and the "load".

The "load" is the resistance/impedance of the keyboards internal workings.

This is a case of [abbr=or should that be Ohms']Ohm's[/abbr] law:
I=V/R where I=current in Amps, V=voltage in Volts and R=Resistance in Ohms

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Hmm, Rick makes a good point!  The supply must have the correct voltage rating as specified by the keyboard.

When selecting a replacement power supply for any device, the voltage rating must match the specification.  The current rating must meet but can exceed the specification.

E.G.  If the keyboard specifies 12V @ 900mA then a supply that can deliver 12V @ 1.25A is fine, but one that delivers 9V @ a maximum 1.25A is no good 'cause the voltage is too low.  One that delivers 12V @ a maximum of 500mA is also no good 'cos while the voltage is correct it can't deliver enough current.

Hope that's a little clearer - probably too much information :)

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
And yes, I should have thought a bit more, first. It would have looked good on my record.
The wall outlets are not the same in Holland as in Britain, or in America. Quite different, even. And there is the matter of 115 Volts  for American outlets, and 230 over here. Bummer.
So, if it is a European adapter that Ashley needs, I will send it (and I have put this bit of news in the mailbox, for early arrival).

Reply #10
Yes, serious bummer. If I use one of your 12v supplies, I get 6v. If you use one of my 12v supplies, you get a fire!
Registered user since 1996