Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion Notation and Diddles (Read 4810 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion Notation and Diddles

Anyone out there know if there's a plugin that will let me use diddles? I've searched through Noteworthy and I can not find anything related to it. I'm trying to write a rudimental snare solo, but I really can't unless I fave diddles! I REALLY don't want to have to write 32nd notes! Please help!

Re: Percussion Notation and Diddles

Reply #1
Hi Bill,

Not being a percussionist, I wouldn't know a diddle from a doodle, or a dawdle for that matter. ;-)

I take it, though, that it's some sort of tremolo marking. Perhaps one of the symbols in one of the alternate fonts would do the job for you. There are a number of musical fonts available at the NWC Scriptorium, most of us seem to use Boxmarks2 simply for portability reasons. But if a suitable symbol isn't in this font, you can check out the others and specify that this font is needed to properly view your work.
As regards the playback, this can be accomplished using a hidden "sounded" staff, containing the notes explicitly (32nd notes). Use of COPY/PASTE can make this a lot easier.

HTH

Fred

Reply #2
One way to make things easier, if the "diddle" (as in paradiddle?) is a set pattern that gets used a lot, is to create a .NWC file containing a prototype diddle. You can then keep this file open in a separate window, and cut & paste from it into your snare solo wherever you need it.

Reply #3
Go to www.2112design.com and dowmload the free tabtrax file. You can write fortlets, but is the same as a paradiddle.