Skip to main content
Topic: Another weird chord (Read 3056 times) previous topic - next topic

Another weird chord

In one of the charts we just picked up, there is a chord that has us confused. The key is e (or sometimes in E), and the last chord of a certain phrase has no label in the guitar part or the keyboard part (even on the written-out repeat!). The keyboard has a B in the bass, and the right hand has D#, G, A, C, so this looks like a B7+5-9 (slightly weird?). There is also an indication as to what the horns should play, and this includes all of the previous pitches plus a D natural. Is this possibly a B7+5+9-9? I’ve never seen two different 9s in the same chord before. (Someone here wants to call it a Bm7+5-9-11...Yikes!)
Any thoughts?

Re: Another weird chord

Reply #1
Maybe that's why the editors didn't bother writing it out. How you interpret it depends partly on your preference, and partly on the harmonic flow of the piece.

Try this. Substitute a B7 chord - does it fit with the flow of the music? If so, there's your answer; it's a B7 with a bunch of tensions. You can spell them all out, or just do as the editors did and leave it out.

Naming chords is intended to simplify things in pieces that are harmonized vertically; in a situation like this it's likely to confuse if you spell it all out. If the tension notes are just "passing tones," you'd probably be best off to call it B7aug, or maybe as you suggest B7+5-9 if that's indeed what its function is in this situation.

Otherwise, "weird chord" works... :-P

Fred

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply, Fred.
There are no passing tones — nothing before it or after it. It’s a “punch” chord in the brass. It sounds (to everyone here) like a B7-13, or maybe a B7+9-13. I figured out what pitches to give to the horns to maintain the chord’s character, the keyboard already has pitches (although sometimes we use a keyboardist who can’t read staff notation yet, but changes are a piece of cake) and it was decided that the guitar should get a label of B7+5+9.
All in all, it’s all equitable.

Reply #3
>>...this possibly a B7+5+9-9? I’ve never seen two different 9s in the same chord before...

This is fairly common, at least in the studies and writing that I have done. As my composition professor says: "If you have a flat-9 in the chord, add the augmented above it!"

:)

-j