Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot open Windows volume control (Read 8480 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot open Windows volume control

Prior to installing the trial version of Noteworthy 2, my laptop was working perfectly.  I installed NW2, and while learning how to use it I clicked on the Windows Volume Control button on the toolbar.  This launched the volume "Master Control" icon minimized to the taskbar.  Since then I have not been able to open the volume control at all.  It appears on the taskbar, but I can't open it.  I have tried a reboot, uninstalling NW2, and even a registry restore from backup, but nothing works.

This is Windows XP SP3 on an HP laptop.

By the way, I like NW2, especially the keyboard entry, which is much better than drag-and-drop.

Re: Cannot open Windows volume control

Reply #1
I updated my original post.  I had hoped that there was a registry setting I could reset.

Reply #2
G'day Alf,
FWIW, I, too, have an HP laptop.  I do not have this problem and am reasonably confident others don't either - if they had it would have definitely been revealed during the beta process.

This isn't much help to you of course... 

So, as an experiment, would you try running "sndvol32" from the |Start|Run| dialogue?  You should see the mixer appear.  Any error messages that occur would hopefully help.  If it does appear, is it the same mixer that used to appear?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
NWC2 just calls the "sndvol32.exe" program via the Windows Shell. It does not do anything special.

Note: Because it calls "sndvol32.exe," this icon does not currently work in Vista (Microsoft changed the program name in Vista). We will correct this problem in the next NWC2 release.

See also:

Volume icon is not displayed in the notification area
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319095

Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/EN-US/

Reply #4
Thanks for the update.  FYI, I got it fixed - I downloaded and installed the latest version of the SoundMax audio drivers and rebooted.