Skip to main content
Topic: Symbols in Staff Lyrics (Read 2732 times) previous topic - next topic

Symbols in Staff Lyrics

How can I use symbols in Staff Lyrics?
I enter chord names using Staff Lyrics above a hidden, layered stave and rests with Lyric Syllable set to “always”. I would like to be able to use jazz symbols such as ∆ Ø for major and half diminished chords as in C∆7 or CØ. Unfortunately it does not seem possible to use symbols in Staff Lyrics only in the text editor (insert text command) which does not suit my arrangements.
Using Lyrics I can have the chord names line up exactly with any note I want by varying the rest duration and easily move the names up and down without having to delete and re-enter them.
I have tried installing new fonts but this doesn’t seem to work. Can anyone help please?
Many thanks
John

Re: Symbols in Staff Lyrics

Reply #1
Use the Fonts tab on the Page Setup dialog to change the Staff Lyric font to one of the available chord-making fonts, such as Lawrie's SwingChord - available in the Scripto.

Hope this helps -

Bill

Reply #2
G'day John,
While I know several users of NWC like to use the lyrics of a staff to place chords I find it a little limiting myself.

There is another problem though, because if you choose to use one of my *Chord fonts as "Staff Lyrics" then you don't have enough letters to create real lyrics.

I find it easier to use text entries left justified at next note/bar.  It is easy to move them up and down, simply highlight the text entries anchor and <Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down Arrow> to position them.  Set one of the user fonts in page setup to the Chord font of choice, select that font for your text entry and off you go.

If you find that you need to move all or even just a block of the chord text entries then the "Global_Mod" user tool from Andrew Purdam is your easy answer.  His "Transpose Chords" tool works a treat too.  Of course the user tools apply to NWC2, not NWC1.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about using the fonts or the techniques I use.  This link:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6419.msg43538#msg43538
will take you to a post that where I've described my basic work flow.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
There is another problem though, because if you choose to use one of my *Chord fonts as "Staff Lyrics" then you don't have enough letters to create real lyrics.

Which is why there have been outstanding requests in the wish list for a long, long time for the ability to change lyric fonts, if not in mid-lyric, at least on different staves, so we could use layering to create the effect of mid-lyric changes. But I think John is already using lyrics to place chords, Lawrie. I think he just needs help getting the right font and getting it to show up in the music.

Personally, I do as you do - I set chords using text objects. But from John's post, I would say he has already tried and rejected that method.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #4
G'day Bill,
But I think John is already using lyrics to place chords, Lawrie. I think he just needs help getting the right font and getting it to show up in the music.

Personally, I do as you do - I set chords using text objects. But from John's post, I would say he has already tried and rejected that method.

Yeah, I got that from his post, but I also noticed that he referred to moving the chords up and down wothout having to delete and recreate them - clearly he hasn't realised that text entries can be easily moved and it seemed to me that this was the reason he preferred using lyrics for chords.

cya
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.