Skip to main content
Topic: Midi Comes In Sharps (Read 4084 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi Comes In Sharps

When importing a midi file, especially those in concert pitch, all the accidentials are sharps.  Is there a way to adjust NWC to favor flats?  (Tuba players hate sharps.)

Re: Midi Comes In Sharps

Reply #1
There are a couple of ways to do this. You often have to insert the correct key signature first; not all MIDI files seem to include them. C is treated as a sharp key, and if you're in C you still have to use an (invisible) signature.

Try the "transpose" tool, transposing an interval of 0 and checking the default to favour flats. Or put in the correct flat-key signature and use "enharmonic audit".  What you can't do is have some accidentals as flats and some as sharps - so an F# or C# that's a leading tone will read as a Gb or Db. You can use the search function to change pitches manually.

Reply #2
How can you change the key signature of a midi file that you are importing???  For those that don't have a signature, I have to guess and figure out what looks right after the import.  As for the transpose trick, transposing 0 appears to do nothing.  The quickest method may be to tranpose down 1 then up 1 with the preference set to flats.  On the search and replace idea (good one), I'd need to force accidentals first, then audit them I believe.

Reply #3
You no longer use Transpose 0 trick, but rather Tools | Audit Enharnic Spelling.

Reply #4
I seem to recall that most songs will often start on the first, third or fifth of a chord.  I'd suggest experimenting a little with the melody staff in the midi file, to find which "Sharp" signature seems to fit.  Trial and error.  Then use Tools, Audit Accidentals.  If most of the sharps in the tune disappear, you probably have the right key.  Then use the Tools, Audit Enharmonic Spelling to get yourself into the flat key corresponding to the sharp key you started in.

I have no idea if this will work.  Strongly suggest you save the file to a new filename first, and experiment with the new filename file.

Reply #5
Rather than "experimenting" with "trial and error," try playing the music and listening to it.  The tonic is easily identifiable (in most cases). Then proceed with adding a key signature (after forcing accidentals).

Reply #6
A melody can begin on any note, but almost always ends on the tonic. If it's got chords, the last chord will almost always be the tonic chord. Then you just insert that key signature at the beginning of the piece, if there isn't one already. Or you can look at the pitches used - if all the f's are sharped, you can be pretty sure that's a signature accidental in a major key.

Reply #7
it's more a general music question, but John, could you explain your last sentence:
Or you can look at the pitches used - if all the f's are sharped, you can be pretty sure that's a signature accidental in a major key.
In a E minor, all F are sharped, ain't they? But there will probably be many D sharps either.

Using NWC, you can find the a priori proper key, simply by scrolling down in the Key signature window (quick key: k or K). Just choose the one which has the sharps/flats you've seen in the score. Major and minor relatives have the same number of sharps|flats, so you can choose A minor or C major, it will be the same. And BTW, NWC won't tell you after which one was chosen... but who would mind about this? It's the same key signature after all. In the same piece, you can have both relatives, you won't add a key signature for it :)