Skip to main content
Topic: Midi - NWC conflict? (Read 3756 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi - NWC conflict?

I am suddenly having a problem with a Noteworthy Composer/Midi file conflict.  What happens is that, as soon as I play a midi version of a NWC song, Noteworthy Composer will no longer make any sound.  If I have NWC open while I try to play a midi, the midi makes no sound.  As soon as I close NWC, the midi plays fine.  But I have to go through all kinds of gyrations to get NWC to make sound again and I have not really figured out what is the "magic combination" of things I've done that finally get it to work.  But as soon as I play a midi, it's whacked out again.  I need to save the files as midis so I can send them to my office and hum along while I work.  (I'm learning parts for choir.)

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this.  I have upgraded the drivers on my mother board (sound is built in).  I have upgraded to NWC 1.75b.  This weekend when I finally got it to work, I noticed that the NVIDIA mother board was not listed as the Midi device.  But now it is.  Today the volume for the master volume for midi (in my task tray) was set all the way down.  I don't believe this has always been the case.  When I set it back up, it works ok.

Is there come kind of compatibility issue with NWC and Windows XP or IE 7.0?  I do have my computer set to automatically update my Windows software and I did do the upgrade to IE 7.0.  It is really driving me batty that this keeps happening over and over.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Ann Scharpf

Re: Midi - NWC conflict?

Reply #1
Oops.  I really did try to find the answer to this question over the weekend and didn't see it.  It appears that the post directly before mine is the same problem.  I will read it and see whether it solves my issue.

Reply #3
Only one application at a time can use your MIDI synth, unless you have a patch cable driver such as MIDI-OX/MIDI-YOKE or Hubi's Loopback installed and configured.  In NWC, go to Tools-Options and click on the MIDI tab.  At the bottom of the window, see what is selected in "Port Usage".  Perhaps "Always" is selected, which I suspect is causing your problem.  Try changing that setting to "While Playing" and see if NWC and your MIDI player "plays well with others" then! :)

Reply #4
Thanks.  I did have the option set to Always. 

Now I understand that the volume will just get set all the way down every time I use WM to play a midi file, I understand how to fix the other part of the problem.  Pretty annoying.  You gotta love Microsoft.

Thanks to everyone who's posted answers to this variety of question.

Ann

Reply #5
Ann,
There are other things to play Midi with. My choice is "Van Basco's Karaoke Player". Free, no ads, no hassle, lovely look, simple to use. Google it and forget about the Media Player for Midi for good!
And... it leaves the settings alone.

Reply #6
WinAmp plays MIDI files well also, and if you install the NWC plugin, it will even play NWC files (as well as MP3's, WAV files, CD's, and just about anything else you can throw at it).  I usually avoid the Microsoft Media Player like the plague - just don't like it, never have, probably never will.  Just because it came with Windows doesn't mean I have to use it.  Too many other choices out there...

John

Reply #7
Thanks Admin! I have been encountering same problem and when opening the PC system's volume/mixer control - I found the Midi Synth level at zero. This problem never occurred with WM player 9!