Skip to main content
Topic: Adding piano accompaniment to existing SATB score (Read 3405 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding piano accompaniment to existing SATB score

Using NWC v1.75b. Can someone tell me how to add a piano accompaniment (left and right hand) to an already written SATB score? If I select from staff "add new staff" it just adds another staff to SATB. What I was looking for is adding the accompaniment as a separate group. Prhaps there is a way of setting a new score with both SATB and accompaniment and then importing the existing SATB and subsequently entering an accompaniment ? I have not found anything workable sofar . Any help is appreciated.

Re: Adding piano accompaniment to existing SATB score

Reply #1
Add 2 staves - they whould appear at the bottom of the screen.

Select the first staff and press <Alt-Enter> - this takes you to the staff properties dialogue where you can select the "Style" on the "Visual" tab.  For the top one of the pair select "Upper Grand Staff, and for the bottom one select "Lower Grand Staff".  Once both are selected you will have a brace between them and barlines will not connect into the rest of the score.

For most circumstances you can also select the same MIDI channel for both staves.  Do this from the MIDI tab in the staff properties dialogue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
To add a bit to Lawrie's reply:

• You can also get to the staff properties dialogue by hitting F2 any time the cursor is in the staff you want to modify; or, if you prefer to use a mouse, by clicking on "staff" on the menu bar and then selecting "staff properties."
  • You mentioned adding the accompaniment as a separate group. If you meant a separate visual group on the page, Lawrie's reply is all you need. If you want the accompaniment to be a separate NWC group (which is useful if you want to print just the staff or just the accompaniment), you do that from the "general" tab in the staff properties dialogue box. For the first staff in a new group, select the "group" dropdown box and type the new group name in it; for subsequent staves, the new name will appear in the dropdown list when you select the group box. You can control whether or not groups appear in the printout (or on the screen) using the "contents" tab of the page setup dialogue (the open book icon on the button bar; also found in the files menu). Be aware that staves that don't show still sound when you hit "play."

Hope this helps....

Reply #3
Lawrie, William.
Thanks a lot for the reply, it works fine. As you might have figured I am not experienced nor a regular user. Just trying to put some stuff , mostly handwritten , from our choir on printable format. Thanks again. Ton.