Skip to main content
Topic: Different Lyric fonts (Read 5724 times) previous topic - next topic

Different Lyric fonts

Hey All, just wondering whether there are any tricks to have a different font for lyrics line 1 and line 2 - i want to use line 2 for the phonetic pronunciation of line 1 which is in a different language so thought of making line 2 italics but can't seem to find a way at all....

Cheers

Cliff

Re: Different Lyric fonts

Reply #1
Currently, there is not a method for doing this.

Reply #2
There's no way to do it directly, but you can do it indireclty by entering the lyrics as text. Define a user font the size and characteristics you want for your lyrics font, then place words or small groups of words individually. You will have to play around with spacing and staff placement to line the words up properly with the notes, and with the other lyric lines. It helps to place lyrics entered as text on a separate staff, which can then be layered with the melody staff.

Hope this helps -

Bill

Reply #3
It helps to place lyrics entered as text on a separate staff, which can then be layered with the melody staff
I agree with Bill.  Since you would want to align each word to a note to make it align with the corresponding note and with the English word of the lyric, you'd have to also copy the notes to the second staff. 

I don't think you would want these notes to have visibility set to zero, but you could choose headless notes with stem length zero  for the second staff, and mute the notes for playback if you don't want to hear them on two channels.

The headless stem=zero feature makes the notes effectively invisible without losing the horizontal positioning of visible notes.

Reply #4
G'day Cliff,
if you visit the Scripto and go to the helpful files|fonts section:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
and scroll down 'till you find:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/helpful/timeital.zip
and
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/helpful/romital.zip

These fonts have both normal and italic characters in locations that can be used together in your lyrics.  I haven't used them so I don't know how effective they are, but they seem to have been created with just your problem in mind.

I would guess that the use of typecase would help a lot in using the high order characters (the italic ones?)
http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/software/typecase.zip
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Lawrie;
   I just tried the link you supplied for typecase and got a 404 error. Looks like the location has been changed to this. http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk/software/software.htm then click on the typecase entry to download the zip file.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #6
Thanks Keith - as that link came from my *Dings documents it looks like they're are no longer up to date :(

Reply #7
You are welcome Lawrie. Sorry about being the bearer of bad news about your *dings documents. I don't know what you keep the originals of the documents in but if I can be of help in updating them send me an offline message and I will be glad to give it a go.

Regards
keith

Reply #8
G'day Keith,
thanks for the offer mate, but it's not really a big deal to do.

The docs were created using OpenOffice.org and "printed" as PDF's (I had trouble with the PDF export for some reason..?)

The biggest headache is the fact that I have to keep changing my NWCV15.TTF version for each version of the font document...  As there have been some recent suggestions for improvements to the fonts as well as an idea or 2 that I've had that I want to try I may do it all at once - in a while...  There may end up being an additional font for the SwingDings suite but probably not for the other 2 as the NWC defaults for what I'm thinking about are fine for them.

Reply #9
Hey Guys, thank you so much for all your good ideas and help here!  It's such a great forum and wonderful to know that there are so many people willing to help others - keep it up.  Lawrie, by the way, seems the typecase_vc executable doesn't run under Vista.. after all that.  Just wrote to the author to see if he could recompile for Vista.. :)

Cheers

Cliff

Reply #10
Hey Lawrie;
    I am surprised to hear of a problem with OpenOffice.org export to pdf facility. I use it extensively to do graphs for my ex's private practice to meet insurance regulations. I will look forward to seeing the changes when you are able to get them done. In the mean time the offer is there if I can be of service at any time in the future.

Cliff;
  Glad that you were able to get things worked out and I hope you are able to get typecase recompiled, it is a very helpful tool.

Regards
Keith