Skip to main content
Topic: USB MIDI interface (Read 2944 times) previous topic - next topic

USB MIDI interface

Hello all, I am sure this subject has been dealt with many times but I want to hook up my keyboard to my PC. I have just bought a new PC and my last one failed miserably to produce any live recordings from keyboard to PC. Can I ask someone to help me understand something about USB midi interfaces? If I buy a simple 1-1 USB midi interface will this enable me to record live to NWC? Does it make any difference what the soundcard in my pc is or does the midi interface bypass the soundcard? If I buy an external soundcard can someone recommend one that works beautifully with NWC? For all you experts out there the following is for your reference:
PC = Sony Vaio VGN-N21M laptop
Soundcard = Realtek High Definition audio / integrated
Keyboard = Roland EP-97
NWC = 1.75c

Many thanks in anticipation!

Re: USB MIDI interface

Reply #2
Somewhere I have an Edirol "UM-1EX" USB to MIDI interface that works beautifully.  It is definitely separate from the sound card. 

Somewhere... - AHA, I just found it!  It is a relatively simple device to use, just USB, MIDI in and out and 2 switches:
"Advanced Driver" which I have on and
"Thru" which I have off - IIRC this is simply a MIDI through option for daisy chaining MIDI devices.  I'm not so it's off.

If you visit http://www.rolandus.com/products/productlist.aspx?ParentId=114 and scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page you will see it and its stablemates.

NWC can control as well as accept input from a device through this interface.

As for the "Realtek High Defintion audio" - high def. it ain't.  However all is not lost.  Output to the Roland EP-97 will probably be fine OR just run a reasonable softsynth - of course your internal speakers in the Vaio will leave something to be desired...  You could run external speakers via an amplifier - that would definitely help.

Edirol also have a range of external, USB devices that offer promise - though I haven't used 'em.  They're on the same page as linked to above.  FYI Edirol belong to Roland.

Creative have a PC card version of their Audigy range: the "Audigy II ZS Notebook" and also one from their new X-Fi range: the "Xtreme Audio Notebook", these may also be an option.

Good hunting.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Many thanks both, I shall begin my journey. I'm thinking of sending my Vaio back so does anyone know of a really good laptop around the £650 mark that will have what I need to play with music?

Reply #4
G'day Lorenzina,
I'm not sure you'll find any laptop truly satisfying musically speaking.

It is physically impossible to fit large enough speakers into that size case to give good audio.  Even with array layouts like Bose PA systems that give amazing results from sets of comparatively small speakers there just isn't enough room.

Synth wise, if you can find a good enough softsynth then it doesn't matter what sound card you have (within reason) the MIDI reproduction will be as good as the softsynth's samples/wave table.  Then it's just really speakers that matter.  External ones for when you're at home and put up with the tinny little ones when you're out and about...

You could try "Synthfont" - you'll also need MIDIYoke and some sound fonts but this will at least allow you to see if you can achieve something acceptable.

A hunt around this forum regarding softsynths will also yield useful results...  I actually use a Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth on my desktop as I prefer it to the soundfonts I've found, even though I have a SB Audigy II cound card which yields very good results.

If you check out the local computer shops you may find someone willing to demo some products for you...

<Edit: just fixed a couple of  typos>
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.