Skip to main content
Topic: Percussion doesn't match anything in the DRUMREF file. (Read 3299 times) previous topic - next topic

Percussion doesn't match anything in the DRUMREF file.

I've been downloading and installing the NWC2 updates.  Somewhere in there my percussion tracks have gotten messed up, and they don't match anything in the DRUMREF file.  If I run from the lowest note in the in bass clef to the highest note in the treble clef I get a new, smaller set of percussion sounds.  For instance, from F just below the staff to F and octave above I get nothing but a series of tom tom sounds, matched in pitch to the notes.  This should be a whole series of percussion sounds - crash cymbal, hi-hat, chinese cymbal, etc.

What's strange is that it has affected only some of my songs.  Any of them that I haven't made any changes for a long time have remained unaffected.  And anything new that I try to make is messed up, too.

Has anybody else seen this problem?  I've checked the channels (all of my percussion tracks are channel 10, as they should be) and I've checked the clefs.  I'm at a loss.

Re: Percussion doesn't match anything in the DRUMREF file.

Reply #1
Sounds to me that if you are actually hearing percussion, then the channel number is okay (channel 10); however, if you inadvertently changed the instrument assignment on that channel, then you might have selected a different "drum kit", which can use different percussion instruments and assignments.  That's the first place I would check.  The standard drum kit should just have the instrument set to 0.

John

Reply #2
Michael,

Sometimes a good MIDI-RESET is needed. The configuration of your device may change and since these changes are persistent, the next file you play will not be using "factory defaults".

My one wish is for a customized SysEx event to be sent to initialize the device before each song is played. It is especially useful if you stop a song mid-way. Often times, Reverb and other settings may have changed and will not be reset until the end of the song (assuming the MIDI-designer was good about that).

It would be nice to be able to start each song in a "clean" mode.

Reply #3
Press F6 before playing to see what happens.

Reply #4
It had something to do with my Alesis Nanosynth.  I had to turn channel 10 on the Nanosynth to percussion, then everything was correct.  Normally the Nanosynth is more passive and just accepts what NWC is sending it.  I changed it to percussion the one time and everything is fixed again.

Thanks for your help and time, though.