Skip to main content
Topic: Location of files in history list (Read 4424 times) previous topic - next topic

Location of files in history list

In NWC 1.75c, a help file indicates that the files listed under History are stored in SAMPLES.  I have ten arrangements showing up in History, but when I open SAMPLES none of them shows up.  I've done searches on my C: drive, and I don't find them that way either.  Where are those files stored and how can I find them?

I do have NWC2 and I'm trying to migrate to it, but not being able to find my files doesn't make this easy.

If this is a problem specific to my hard drive, please excuse my obvious ignorance of my hard drive.

Herb

Re: Location of files in history list

Reply #1
G'day Herb,
I've just done a search through the NWC 1.75 help system and couldn't find any reference to the samples folder in relation to the history dialogue.

Under normal circumstances there is no reason for your NWC songs to be saved in the samples directory.  Unfortunately I don't remember where NWC defaults to saving songs as I modified mine years ago.

However, if you can't find your songs and they are still in the history then if you open the history dialogue and move the horizontal scroll bar to the right you'll see the location column appear.  That will tell you where the last 10 were opened from.

A way to tell where they are defaulting to is to open the |Tools|Options...| dialogue and select the "Folders" tab.  The first entry in the list is "Song Files" and the location beside it is where they are defaulting to.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
This is what your help file should say:
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwchelp/MNU_FILEHISTORY.htm
The File History commands make it easier to open recent compositions within NoteWorthy Composer. Your most recent compositions are stored in the file history. Only the songs saved as *.NWC files end up in the history.
This could be clearer. The "compositions" (aka *.nwc files) are not "stored in the file history".
They are stored where the user decides to store them. The Filename, Song Title and Location (folder) are simply listed in the History dialog window.

For NWC 1.75, the list is stored in NWC.INI in the [FileHistory] section.
NWC2 stores this information in the registry.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Is there anyway for history to hold more than 10, or tell it not to list a song in history so that history only holds what you want?
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #4
Sorry Carl, I don't think so - at least I haven't found a way. (for either request)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Thanks, Lawrie.  I just opened NWC and went to File > Open, which took me to the SAMPLES file, which is where the History window tells me my files are stored.  The file I was working on yesterday is now listed in SAMPLES, but other files under History that History says should be there don't show up in SAMPLES.  So now I have two problems.  How did the file I worked on yesterday suddenly show up today in SAMPLES when it didn't yesterday?  And where are the others?  I opened another file from History, saved it, exited, and reentered NWC to see if it would now show up in SAMPLES.  It didn't.

Herb

Reply #6
As often happens when one asks a seemingly hard question, the answer is stupidly obvious.  I had created a couple of other folders in SAMPLES some time back, and the files I couldn't find were in them. 

Thanks for the kind responses, and I apologize for asking one of the rare dumb questions.

Herb

Reply #7
Don't know if NWC2 defaults to saving files in SAMPLES as NWC1 did since I haven't used NWC often enough lately (too much other life stuff getting in the way) to justify upgrading to NWC2.  History doesn't care where you saved the file, only how recently you opened it last.  It will quite happily find any of the last 10 NWC files you opened and go back to wherever it noted they were stored and open them again.

Reply #8
Don't know if NWC2 defaults to saving files in SAMPLES as NWC1 did
By default, NWC2 saves files to 'My Documents'.
NWC2 also adds an Open Samples Command.
IMO, this is how it should be. It keeps user data, which needs more frequent backup, separate from program data.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
This is true for the primary user. If you have multiple user accounts on your computer that use NWC2, you probably should also utilize the utility linked in question #8 of this link (which sets up the default user data folders for another user on the computer):

FAQ - NWC Version 2 Upgrade Install Questions
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/104.htm