Skip to main content
Topic: How do I use repeats? (Read 2408 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I use repeats?

I've looked at them all, and I can't figure out how to do what I want.
I have a fairly typical hymn, with 3 or 4 verses, and a chorus. I want to enter the 1st verse, then the chorus. Then the second verse, and then repeat the chorus.
Then the third verse, and then repeat the chorus. (You get the point.)
I need to enter each verse because each one has a different number of notes, but I don't see any reason to repeat the chorus 3 or 4 times.
What I will do is copy and paste the 1st verse notes, to create the 2nd verse, then make the necessary note changes. This will all work, if only I could figure how out to come back to the chorus each time. You see, each time I'll be farther along, and would expect NWC to only pick up the chorus, then skip the 2nd verse, for instance, and go directly to the 3rd verse, then eventually to the 4th verse.
Am I over explaining this?
All help appreciated.
Gordon

Re: How do I use repeats?

Reply #1
You could place each verse in a special ending - that is as 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. ending to a master repeat that only contained your chorus.
This would work for playback.
Or is your concern publishing?

Re: How do I use repeats?

Reply #2
Barry's answer is good. Did you look at the 4 examples that come along with the NWC setup ? You should find them in the Samples directory. They show how the repeat bars work.

I'll post a link to a file that do what you want in some hours (unless someone else has one already made ?) (I have to wait for the lunch pause)

If your problem is just for printing scores, then you don't need to use special bars. Simply add a text item that displays where chorus/verses start (if not already clear).

HTH