Skip to main content
Topic: Importing midi in NWC to piano part + vocal only! (Read 4872 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing midi in NWC to piano part + vocal only!

how do i stop NWC mapping midi files to innumerable staves?
i want max 3 staves ie vocal line plus piano part as in sample files in NWC format
and i keep getting
what seems like a huge orchestral score! Who knows if it works I might buy the full version ;)

thanks

graham

Re: Importing midi in NWC to piano part + vocal only!

Reply #1
Note: you only need to ask your questions in one place (See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=393).

You control exactly how many staves are created during MIDI import. Each "Import Instruction" in the import wizard will result in a unique staff. You can add, edit, and delete instructions as appropriate for the material that you are trying to import. In general, though, the instructions created automatically by NWC are usually the most appropriate (you could disable the "Map each MIDI channel to a new staff" option if your MIDI material already has the track arrangement that matches the resulting staves that you are hoping for).

One caveat: if you try to import an orchestral score, you are naturally going to get an import result that looks like an orchestral score (since it is one). If you want an abridged version for piano, you would have to do this yourself.

Reply #2
thanks - I played with various options
but still got multi instrumentation violin / bass / drums etc is it not possible to find mids
that just have piano and voice line? I would be greatful if you could explain further as the
help file is less than helpful - also if you transpose the software still seems to play back in the original key???

yours puzzled

Graham

Reply #3
I'll make some point by point suggestions:
"is it not possible to find mids that just have piano and voice line?"
Yes, but you'll need to search them out. If you want to see how some voice lines work, look at the examples provided in the Samples folder with NWC, or some of the many NWC files on the user links page http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/userlinks.htm

"I would be greatful if you could explain further as the
help file is less than helpful"
One of the first things I did with the NWC online help was create a "Find" database (WinHelp 95/98 only), which greatly helped in finding things.

"also if you transpose the software still seems to play back in the original key???"
This is often what's required when mixing transposing with non-transposing instruments, (or instruments that transposse differently) and possibly what you actually will want in this case. When you use the transpose tool, it does two things:
1) rewrite the staff in the new key
2) OPTIONALLY transpose the staff back (using a small midi instruction) so that it sounds the same. This is equivalent to - say - a Bb trumpet player reading and playing a "C" (to them) and hearing a Bb.

Andrew

Reply #4
If you wan't the transposed part to sound like it should transposed you need to cancel the "Update staff transposition" box which appears when you go to "Transpose Staff" under "Tools". Otherwise it will match the original pitches which is quite useful when making band scores in concert pitch, then transposing the instrumental parts to their respective keys.

Reply #5
Thanks Andrew - the key point for me is I'm a UK based Actor/singer with a Bass/Baritone voice
so constantly searching (often in vain) for decent audition pieces and to wrok on in class. My route often has to be find a piece I like and get it transposed by
Musos who, over in the Uk at least, are often bored with doing this kind of work so charge thru the nose! I need ideally a piece of software that combines the attributes of NWC
that will also play back the transposition in the transposed key and which would also OCR sheet music to MID like Pianoscan
to give raw material - better in NWC it would map it to the correct format - I only need get a bored muso to check for errors instead of doing what they seem to consier a chore!

As for mids - when you download most they seem to generally come in a format where there are a number of parts - violin piano drums bass - no good to me - I'd be grateful for any info on sites with piano + vocal lines
mids which are Broadway Musical or Intelligent pop like Randy Newman/Tom Waits etc who happen to write good intelligent lyrics and tunes that are suitable for auditions for Musicals - my particular gravy train- but as I am distressingly
basic musically - used to following a score with help of an MD!! It would be good to see a varitety of
AI or something to help us poor suckers - it would sell well to Equity members!! I was introduced by a Tom Lehrer like froiend who wites pastiches and comic songs for Radio here in UK. Any responses welcomed

thanks
Graham

Reply #7
There are some piano/vocal mids out there. None with lyrics as far as I know, though, as that's cutting too close the the copyright bone.

A

Reply #8
Huh? The same copyright law applies to music and
arrangements thereof, as to text. So far as I can tell,
though, a particular combination of music and text is not
copyrighteable. (If you have permission to copy the text,
and you have permission to copy the music, there's nothing
to prevent you copying them into the same file.) I think
this applies to US and ICU (International Copyright Union)
both.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Your judge has a right to
his own opinion, and probably won't pay any attention to me.