Skip to main content
Topic: Dynamic markings run into note stems (Read 4418 times) previous topic - next topic

Dynamic markings run into note stems

I am a new Noteworthy user, and I'm using it mostly to transpose music.  I am trying to insert dynamic markings into my music and they are running into the stems of my notes.  Is the only option to change the stems from down to up?  I would prefer not to do this if possible.

I also tried to insert the dynamic markings with the Insert Text feature, but I need a larger font than what is provided.  I can't find a way to increase the font size.  I hope this isn't something very simple that I'm overlooking!  Thanks for your help.

Shelley

Re: Dynamic markings run into note stems

Reply #1
Hi Shelley,

Welcome to NWC.

You can adjust the vertical position of the dynamic marks by highlighting each one and moving it up or down using the control and arrow keys.

While you won't need to know this now, you can indeed change the fonts - go to the File dropdown menu, Page Setup, Fonts tab.  Select the particular font you want to tinker with, and then select modify.

David

Reply #2
David - Thanks for your quick reply. I'll try moving those dynamic markings.
Shelley

Reply #3
Hi,

Actually, to move the dynamic markings, you need to select the marking by doing one of the following:

a) put the cursor in front of the little gray dot which precedes the dynamic marking, then press shift-right arrow to highlight it, or
b) click and drag the mouse over the little gray dot which precedes the dymanic marking to highlight it

Once it's highlighed, use ptrdd SHIFT and CTRL and either the up or down arrow to move it (up or down, respectively).

Hope this helps.

John

Reply #4
John is correct.  I wrote from memory.  Sorry.

You can also use Ctrl-E for notation properties, and set the vertical position, but it's more work than John's method.

The initial vertical position of the dynamic marking depends on the position of the cursor.  I don't recall this being the case until now.  It is not desirable behaviour, so maybe it's a glitch that Eric at NWC needs to fix (unless there's something screwed up with my own computer, not impossible).

Reply #5
If you use the toolbar buttons to enter dynamic markings, NwC  will remember the last vertical positioning, more or less.  I don't recall exactly how it works, but using them has made it a lot faster to enter pp, ff, etc., in what is closest to the desired position.

If your toolbar doesn't have them, then go into your customization and put them there posthaste.

A related question:  what is the standard practice for locating dynamic markings in vocal and instrumental staves?  Do they generally go above the staff?  Is it different for vocal staves (so they don't get in the way of the lyrics)?

I'm used to putting them below the treble staff of piano music, but that's really "between staves" and not "below", I suppose.

- seb

Reply #6
OK, I give up.  How does someone become an "authenticated Noteworthy Composer user"?

Reply #7
The authenticated user mechanism is not yet generally available, so there is no formal way for a user to get this status at the moment.

Reply #8
Tools|Options|Editor|Smart Properties Insert will ignore the cursor position if thats what you want, David.  I personally prefer having the dynamic appear where the cursor is.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #9
Another way to avoid dynamics clashing with notes - particularly at the start of a bar is to 'align right' instead of the default left align. (Highlight the dynamic and use the edit properties / expression placement)

Tina