Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI recording is missing velocity dynamics (Read 2470 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI recording is missing velocity dynamics

Hi, after my first successful recording from a midi keyboard (yahama psr-2000) connected to the computer, I discovered after some time that my recording was totally missing any touch sensitivity, i.e. all notes are played back at full 127 velocity. I dont' unerstand the user guide here. How to configure Noteworthy to recording the note velocities that comes from the keyboard?
best regards, Arnie

Re: MIDI recording is missing velocity dynamics

Reply #1
all notes are played back at full 127 velocity.
That is the way NoteWorthy works. It cannot be changed.

After you get all the notes in, insert dynamics to get the key velocities that you want. This is not as big a limitation as you may think. The note velocities from a recorded performance are usually very uneven and lack the range that you can get by inserting dynamics. Even if NoteWorthy did import them, which it does not, most users would not find them very useful.

Here is some prior discussion of this issue:
NWC2 assigns MIDI velocity based on your dynamics in a staff. Individual notes in NWC2 do not have their own sense of velocity. <snip>
When importing, NWC2 does not do anything with velocity information in the MIDI file. This has to be manually added to get the sound that you want.

Most keyboards also record how hard you press (velocity), which at present isn't imported into NoteWorthy Composer. Similarly, pitch and mod wheel, and volume controllers aren't imported either; you have to add these afterwards.
Registered user since 1996

Re: MIDI recording is missing velocity dynamics

Reply #2
Thanks for the response, I am a bit surprised, but it is ok to know that this is the way it is. I will look into the dynamics when all recodings and editions are finished then. Thanks again,

Arnie