but I would like to be able to write the octave as whole
notes, and then add the others on top 'anyway'. As
soon as I make the octave into whole notes the other
stuff is pushed off to the right....

Can anybody please help me? :-)
-- Seb

Re: note values

Reply #1
Sounds like a problem that can be solved by staff layering.

NWC allows you to control the visibility and audibility of notes independently. You can create one staff with some notes that look one way but sound differently, then merge it with another staff. When you do that, the notes that print to paper can be different than the notes that sound when played as MIDI.

Reply #2
I believe you can do what you want without layering. If I understand correctly, you wish to place in, say, a 4/4 measure, a whole note, and also 4 quarter notes. Place the first note (either quarter or whole) and then, using ctl-enter, place the other note as a chord member. Then add the three additional quarter notes. If you want the the first quarter to be a rest, however, it must be placed before the whole note. Then, with the insertion point after the rest, place the whole note and press ctl-enter.

Reply #3
"placed before the whole note" means "prior to placing the whole note," not "in front of the whole note."

Reply #4
Further to William's reply, if you use the quarter note and the whole note in the same chord, I think you have to enter the quarter note first.